Does anyone have plans for construction of a pontoon?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rousecrew, May 18, 2006.

1. rousecrew

rousecrew New Member

Hi! I am interested in building my own pontoon about a 24' would be ideal. Does anyone have plans or know where to find plans for this size and I prefer welding mine. I don't really want to do the plywood version thats all I have come across on the net. Thanks any info. would be greatly appreciated!

Erin:)

2. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Well In the past I havew always thought it would be a good idea to make up a stainless steel frame that you can clamp some standard 44 gallon (200 litre) drums to. With a stainless steel cone at the front to cut through the water.

Coat the drums if you wish with a good paint, if the drums rust out replace them as they cost next to nothing.

Would make a good diving platform.

There is no reason why you can't have two rows of twin drums.

The frame would be mainly obove the drums, so you slip them up underneath the frame.

They could be held into position by cargo ratchet hold down straps.

The frame could be carried down to a beach and the drums rolled down afterwards, slipped under the frame strapped in, chuck an outboard on the back and away you go.

Easy to work out the weight it would carry as a 200 litre drum would carry about 180 Kgs before it sinks so about 90 Kgs per drum less thge weight of the frame. Of course a lot of drag in the water but for going out a couple of Kilometres for fishing or diving should be OK.

For detailed plans go to www.watchyoudontdrown.com