The Dix 43 about finished...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Wynand N, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

and here is Waratah at last....
    The design, for those who did not followed the early posts during construction, is a Dix 43 centre cockpit. I do not know why Dudley Dix call this a 43 ft as she only need two inches to be a 44.
    The boat is currently sitting on the dry in Durban and due to some critical electrical equipment etc that is not ready yet and installed without which the owner understandingly refuse to launch. The launch is postponed for a much later date. This gives us time in the meantime to fix some damage to the hull when she was removed from the workshop (rigger error), some bent pulpit that hit the rafters when the rigger **** happened. The exhaust needs to be refitted as the local agent supplied me with the wrong diameter hose size, but this is what commissioning is all about:eek:

The interior is finished in a matt finish light cream with solid Rosewood trim, steps and saloon table. Carpets are charcoal/dark blue affair with aluminum trim on hatches etc.

Overall she look well and the boat only has about 12kg fairing compound on the whole hull and deck (a bit more now with the four dents to be fixed on the hull). Whats not shown on the pics is the sleek lightweight arch that bolts to the aft pushpit for the solar panels and aerials etc.
    Here are a few photos of the boat being removed from the shop, on the dry in Durban and last pic, taken at the local watering hole on the wharf of my crew, the owner (with glasses) and yours truly - the handsome guy on the right.

Attached Files:

2. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

Congrats, launch time is always fairly stressful for us builders, ls that New Guinea rosewood?
    i would like some pics of that, we have it in our kitchen at home, and I am thinking they would like it in Western Eu as a finishing timber

3. RHP

RHP Senior Member

She looks wonderful, a great achievement.

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

Well done Wynand!

5. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

Very nice boat Wynand, congratulations.

6. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Thanks Wynand, for sharing this build with us. I now know just a little of what it takes for a job like this. Well done. :D
    Gary

7. Wynand N

Stuart, here are a few photos of the Rosewood finish on the off white creaminess interior. Unfortunately, these photos were taken during the construction stage and some varnish may be missing or in the process being applied, finger pull teak rings missing, masking tape still visible, etc. Side windows and other trim not fitted yet as well as other finishes.

Believe it or not, have not taken a photo of the completed interior yet in all its glory and plan to do so soon when I go visit the boat again and will post:eek:

Attached Files:

8. yipster

yipster designer

nice to view and looks like a new quality boat, congrats

9. Guest62110524

yes Wynand, lighter than the one here, but light is the fashion now, darker mahogony etc is a bit passe, Yipster in Holland how is demand? light or dark?

10. yipster

yipster designer

joking? darker is gettin common here too :p
    was having a good look at pics before
    miss a big mirror on door and a streak sunlight in
    seriously, i ( we ) do like light rosewood on ivory

11. Guest62110524

no not at all joking, thsi is serious bizz, can you look at my website, the river boat, tell me what the average buyer would want, as the market is in Europe, thanks

12. yipster

yipster designer

midnight, i like to look first thing tommorrow

13. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I'll add my voice to the chorus of congrats Wynard.
    Now it's out of the shed, you can start on the next one!

In terms of interior finishes, I'm just glad we seem to be seeing the demise of the high-gloss cherry interior. Altogether too glitzy and WAY too hard to look after...

14. Wynand N

Some quality hitches were discovered that were overlooked in the rush to finish but luckily nothing major and easy to fix. This is a problem with custom builds where everything is done by hand and more than on person worked on it over a long time. Some small things has still to be done as we had run out of time and transport was booked and count down started. The only bitter taste of this project was my miscalculation of projected time to finish and we had a bad overrun.
    But hey, I was out of the game for awhile, retired until this came up and brought me back into the game. That said, this was my last build finally - lost my touch:(

From now on I'm concentrating on stink pot repairs, building of my FishMaster range of bass boats and canoes etc. Possibly enlarge my fishing gear department.
    My mainline business now is the fabrication of wooden furniture, kitchens etc.

15. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

:confused: :confused: :confused:
    You can't go to sea in a piece of furniture!! no fun in that Wynard... more money no doubt though....;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.