A different world:Rigid Inflatable Boats

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by sele, Jul 8, 2011.

1. m3mm0s rib

m3mm0s rib Senior Member

I understand the mood of everyone to produce something so great but I think it is wrong to produce the spaces lost because of the balloons and precise construction make generally unattractive As for the diesel consumption in a such a vessel would be ranged on the 5 to 6 liters per mile

2. jimmy62alan

jimmy62alan Junior Member

rigid boats

where did you get the fuel figures from have you seen my plans or has our lass been sending you my dooodalings of the the boat lol.
    The boat is a bit of a oddbod I grant you that and I'm not going for good looks, I want to use a theory I came across years ago while messing about with two lengths 12inch diameter waste pipe and a large elbow joint, if I use the same theory with larger PVC gas/fuel pipe I will get a very large base to make a boat from, and there will be solar panels and windturbines as well as recycled fuel. The fuel part is my little baby I made a mobile processing unit some time ago and the boat will have one built in to recycle waste oil where ever we go so it will be a huge saving, especially if I get 5 to 6 ltrs per mile. The fuel on all craft is a factor but I would not of thought of doing this if I had not of dabbled with fuel and alternative energy.
    Theres still a lot of planning and I want to get some feedback off various companies so I will have to get my sensible head on to get a prototype made in the near future, I thought I'd go for a 25ft version to get a good sence of what I want to achieve with the larger full size boat.
    ALAN

3. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

10.1 meters is the largest I've seen around here, BUT, there are a number of 48 passenger rigs that use aluminum sponsons instead of rubber that look identical to a conventional RIB. They are foam filled and serve the same purpose.

-Tom

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Does anyone think the original idea of these things might have been forgotten ? Beyond me how the aluminium tube type has any advantage for any conceivable application.

5. m3mm0s rib

m3mm0s rib Senior Member

The 100 foot manufacturer will not resemble the 25 now referred

6. jimmy62alan

100ft and 25ft

The size between the 100ft and 25ft is a total difference, but I will not be using a V-hull so there will be the same design for the tubes on both sizes boats and if the design works as I've planned it could be redesigned with a keel to used for a sail boat as well, but thats another story.
    ALAN

7. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

If I understand correctly, you are basically using tubes for flotation. There are less expensive ways to create flotation than Hypolon tubes which in the length your talking would have to have a full double liner and be broken up into many smaller segments. Also, 36" to 50" tubes are going to be very expensive and have a lifespan of maybe 10 years where permanent flotation will last as long as the boat does. My guess is that aluminum rigid tubes will be a lesser cost if you must have tubes.

8. m3mm0s rib

m3mm0s rib Senior Member

Not to offend this I wrote but I remind you that the fuel is expensive as worldwide on the tubes mentioned there are the hypalon neoprene which certainly should look Rib Re-Tubing - Part 1 - www.ferrymarine.com

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  9. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Floatation? Buoyancy? Safety?

-Tom

10. jimmy62alan

alloy tubes??

The alloy tubes may be a lot cheaper but I would not get the flexibility and strenght properties of the large PVC fuel pipes, I need the flex to get the shape of the rib boat tubing. The tubes are the main part of the boat, the deck will be above the water and bolted to the large tube sides. The boat will in fact sail like a catermaran come hovercraft styling but will be rib tube shape, the front nose will be curved up so the tubes alone will ride on the water. I realise theres a great deal still to plan and work out, but the finished boat will be very eco-friendly.
    ALAN

11. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

If the deck is going to be higher that the tubes and the topside even higher your going to be top heavy and subject to being blown over. Someone much smarter than me in marine math better check these concerns out. What material are you going to build this out of? Also check out the weight of PVC pipe in schedule # 80 for the diameter you expect to use.

12. m3mm0s rib

m3mm0s rib Senior Member

For those who insist on aluminum tubes to tell you that for each surface type M2 in 5083 4mm We have a 11 kilogram weight while at the same neoprene only 1 kilogram is the same;

13. jimmy62alan

There will be ballast in the tubes and the engine(s) on board, also the structure between the tubes will have to be substancial to bare the weight of everything on board. There will be storage batteries for the solar panels and wind turbines, theres also the fuel storage that will be in parrellel tanks. There is a lot more to list but I think you get the general gist of things that hold the boat stable.
    I think this will be a good venture and a lot of things will be change while still in the planning stage, but I do welcome and enjoy all comments and feedback.
    One thing that does puzzle me is what kind of boat is it????
    ALAN

14. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

This is basically a raft, similar to the Taiwan surf fishers, but like a catamaran, right? Check out these very smart guys who are using modern plastic to carry on something they've been doing for several thousand years in some of the roughest water in the world, the Formosa Channel.
    http://www.storerboatplans.com/Taiwanboat/Taiwanboat.html

Attached Files:

15. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

More on pipe boats.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.