Designing hulls for a pontoon style boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by iparks01, Apr 11, 2005.

1. iparks01

iparks01 New Member

We are designing a 2 hull pontoon style boat and i was just wondering if we make the bottom of the hull step up like the the hull of a racing boat. will this help efficency with only a five HP evenrude. This is a project for school.

2. intrepid71

intrepid71 Junior Member

With only 5 Hp, I would not recommend a step. For a high speed boat, a step can reduce wetted surface and increase speed. For a low speed boat, it acts as a discontinuity that will create turbulence and drag and actually slow you down. In addition, a step will be harder to build.

3. iparks01

iparks01 New Member

Thank You

Thank you that is what I was thinking I just wasnt sure when the step would actualy take effect. I figured it wouldnt untill greater speed was attained. I wish I knew when the step would take effect or I should say at what speed. We are building a 1 inch = 2 feet scale model of this recreation style boat for my design theory 2 class at spencerian college. Thank you for your insight. Ian Parks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.