designing houseboats

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by confused, Feb 5, 2009.

1. confused

confused New Member

I have designed over five houseboats, but I need to know the amount of living space prefered by most people.

2. confused

confused New Member

I have to ask you this. Would you live in a houseboat that has a four foot by 2.5ft wide by 2.5 foot tall cabin if you had no other home?

3. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Ahhh, No.

4. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Some nice boats have small cabins. ;-)

5. confused

confused New Member

I wouldn't live on one that small either! :)

6. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Sounds palatial - but then I am only 6 inches tall.....

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You appear to have designed more houseboats then the average designer does in a career. It seems a bit surprising that you would be asking such an easily answered question, particularly by someone who we'd hope would have a clue about ergonomics, especially after four previous attempts.

Let me guess, you've drawn some pretty pictures that sort of look like houseboats. You don't know the immersed volume or the PPI or much anything else in regard to "design", but I'm wondering is their a point to your question.

8. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

Heres an idea.Go to a website for car builders. Tell them you have built 4 ground up cars before, but you need some info on which way the seats should be pointed. Or how dose the carb work, or maby, are seatbelts still required.

K9

9. confused

confused New Member

.:mad: no! I havn't just drawn "pretty pictures" that 'look' like houseboats. I draw scale plans for them, BY hand. It took me a YEAR to draw all five of them, so a little more respect please... I just draw the hull, and rough sketches of the living space and bedrooms. No "million dollar houseboats," just cheap ones. The largest one I have designed has 2 bedrooms! And I am NOT stupid. I know more about engines than you could dream about. Designing houseboats is just a hobby of mine! I've heard of engines you've never heard about, and even though I'm 13, I have worked on a car before! "Oh yes," You're probably thinking, "but It didn't work after he worked on it," well sorry to burst your bubble, but the car ran better AFTER I worked on it! AND I know how to calculate the immersed volume! I'll prove it to you. Immersed volume means the volume of an object when submersed in water. The water puts pressure on the object, causing it to shrink. So, you measure how much it has shrunk, then you subtract it from the volume of the object when it was out of the water.:p I don't use any fancy c a d дерьмо to design my boats either! I use my own two hands.

10. PAR

I stand corrected. You clearly have a full understanding and at such an age, impressive. So, how about posting a few of your houseboats designs. Here's one of mine:

[​IMG]

This one is about half it's size at 26' LOD.

Attached Files:

11. confused

confused New Member

my teacher is coming to my house in 2 hours. I do online schooling. I'd have to scan my pictures, but my brothers scanner is unplugged and my mom wouldn't take to kindly if I told her I'd have to send "some stranger" my designs. (if I send them to you, remember, THEY ARE COPYRIGHTED) my boat's don't have as many windows. I like privacy. They are flat bottomed, and they are designed to have as little draft as possible. I have to finish some schoolwork also. HA! and you said pretty pictures, no offense, but those pictures look like "pretty pictures"

12. PAR

Both designs above are copyrighted as well.

13. confused

confused New Member

thought so. some of mine aren't finished yet, I still have 2 to finish. I'm going to live on one of the houseboats I designed when I move out.
    Майкл

14. confused

confused New Member

well, I won't be on this thread for awhile! feel free to discuss whaterver u want on here!
    Майкл

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.