Designing for ferrocement vs wood or steel

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by cthippo, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

You've added a bunch of weight and windage up high.....this won't make the boat better......

Main thing I would do is drop the deckhouse until the sole beams just clear the top of the engine....she'll be much better for it...look better too...

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Strongly reconsider you ideas on rearranging the scantlings for this vessel. The global implications could be catastrophic, without a much more careful understanding of their impact on the design as a whole.

The raised bulwarks, particularly forward will offer some windage issues that I think you'll regret, but some extra HP will over come most of this. Oops, Tad apparently types faster then me.

3. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

So does it need to be designed from the ground up for Cold molded?

I'm not sure how much of an issue the weight is going to be. The C-Trawler series is mostly designed as sailboats, and Karl said the masts and booms would be fine.

Aside from shuffling around some things on the interior I haven't changed the pilothouse at all.

Attached Files:

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The short answer is yes. Ask Karl if he has a design in the size and build method you desire. Without considerable engineering skill, you just can't change the build type and expect a reasonable level of success. Conversely, Karl or another designer could make a conversion for you, so you'd have the build method you want with this particular design.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.