designing a fast rowboat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by nordvindcrew, Oct 13, 2006.

1. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

It's not difficult:

when you have an internet page displayed, right-click on the address and click Copy, then when creating your post just right-click again and click Paste which will insert a link to the page.

p.s., per next post, I was assuming you use Internet Explorer

2. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

You shold be able to right click on any online image and then select "Copy image location" from the pop-up. This can then be pasted to any other web page. :)

Mind you I usually use Firefox for browsing. Can't remember if IE (cursed be its name) does it the same way but can find out for you. I have a dozen browsers installed for testing so let me know which one you are using if you need more info. :)

3. DickT

DickT Junior Member

Lake Champlain Race

I was in a three mile race today at Basin Harbor's Lake Champlain maritime Museum. Several 4 and 6 oared gigs but only two single and one double fixed seat. My time was 33:14, almost exactly the same as last time I raced it two years ago, and before I straightened the stern and cut away the forefoot. Boat tracks much better in crosswinds.

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Well done.

5. nordvindcrew

nordvindcrew Senior Member

race

Too bad there are so few rowers up there in Vermont. Congrats on your time: 11 minute miles are always good. Also, good to hear that yor modifications worked out well. I'm stalled on my rebuild project: too hot here and I'm busy moving the boiler in my house. Hopefully, pretty soon my brother and I can jump on it and get the bottom re-done on "Nordfiord" and see if it realizes the potential we had hoped for in the boat. My last race: 3.75 miles in New Bedford harbor had me second in 39:47 (corrected time from announced results) I put a little more rocker in the bottom with the seat brace and "Nordlys" tracks much better. Ina very tough race in Essex Ma. a lot of boats wound up in the marsh, but I was able to keep my heading in winds that gusted to 37 knots. I was very happy with the preformance.

6. terhohalme

terhohalme BEng Boat Technology

WM Rowing in Sulkava Finland

The first WM Roving competition in Sulkava long boats was on 8 to 11 of July in 2010.

http://www.wmrowing-sulkava.fi/

These long boats are rowed about 60 km (exactly 58 km, 36 miles) just in four hours and three minutes, so under 7 minute miles.

The winners in national small boats like single, double and shift rowboats (LH < 6.5 m) spent over 5 hours like 5:18, 5:09 and 5:21, so all under 9 minutes per mile.

This year, the weather was too hot (30 degree centigrade) and the results were about 10 minutes worse than normal.

Attached Files:

7. nordvindcrew

damn

As usual you Finns embarass me beyond words. Your boats are great and the quality of the rowers must be superb. Congratulations!

8. terhohalme

Next Summer, join the gang!

9. nordvindcrew

Finn races

A trip to Finland would be the adventure of a life time, especially if I could compete in such a race. Then a trip to Oslo to find my Grand fathers home would cap it off. Dreams can come true

10. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Definitely you need to do that. Reminds me of a trip I took to the UK back in 1998. Visited Scotland to see an old friend for the first time in 30 years, then off to Ireland to visit my wife's friends and relatives, then Wales where I stayed during WW2, and finally England were we met and still have lots of people to see. I was also at a high school reunion last year: lots of old memories there! But not another boater among them.

11. jarmo.hakkinen

jarmo.hakkinen Junior Member

I'm very interested in your "Kuukeli" design. It looks quite similar as my own design with no name. Two of them were built, and in Sulkava race 2010 they took places 12 and 14 in doubles class. I would be interested if you could share some design data with me, so i could compare them. here is data from my design.

Attached Files:

12. terhohalme

Kuukeli is designed for my boatbuilder (Ruud van Veelen, Sulkava, puuvenepiste.fi). We have spend lot of time to optimize, calculate and design and redesign. When it is a customer work, I can't publish any data, sorry. I can put here more pictures though.

The owner and rower is Pentti Soini (+Seppo Rellman) and we expect second or even first place in the next competition, Pirkan soutu next weekend.

The boat is suitable for single or double rowing. Actually all three race boats are similar, Kuukeli is the lightest (okoume 3 ply 6 mm) about 43 kg, and the dark one is (sapelli veneers on okoume) about 50 kg. The short one is our "normal" rowboat, 9 mm okoume, 4.7 m x 1.4 m, approx. 70 kg.

Attached Files:

13. jarmo.hakkinen

jarmo.hakkinen Junior Member

I am impressed

Sleek, beautiful and fast looking. In all, very interesting. I am in process of lightening my design, it weighs in about 65 kg now, with all the gear. Maybe i should go for the okoume too? One of my designs is participating Pirkan soutu too, looking forward how they go.

14. flo-mo

flo-mo Junior Member

15. HJS

HJS Member

Longboat

Traditional longboat from Vaxholm, Sweden. Strömmingsjagare.
    Complete drawings are available.

js

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.