Design of Self propelled Remote Operated Canoe boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by manon, May 13, 2013.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'm not sure of the exact "potential" of this craft, but it's obvious to any student of design, it'll never get past 4 knots and will have a significant wave train if pushed this fast. 8 knots is an absurdity, so as the professional, your task is to make the client understand that he came to you, because you understand the things he doesn't and most importantly, the ridiculousness of the SOR restraints.

There's no way, no amount of power that will get that boat to 8 knots, short of employing lifting foils. Also as mentioned and as I'm sure you are aware, the round bilge hull form isn't conducive to the required build method. Maybe you can talk them into a multi chine, that simulates the shape fairly accurately, possibly a lapstrake, so it looks good too.

Do not permit a client to control the process. The "customer is always right" is simply foolish business practice. They came to you, because they knew darn right well, they wouldn't be "right", so you're the pro here, not them. Part of design work is dealing with "tough" clients. Beer can help, but mostly it's simple Dale Carnegie stuff. Your the project expert, that's why they're in your shop. Show them you are . . .

[​IMG]

Lastly, testing a design that clearly can't meet the SOR's goals, is folly of the highest order and one that will generate a reputation you plainly don't want. Convince the client the project needs more "study", but don't allow yourself to be pulled into their ineptitude. Again, you're the pro, that's why they commissioned you. It wouldn't be the first time I've bluntly told a client, that I wouldn't do something. They can insist all they want, but you have to stand up and say "I will not participate in a futile, ill advised effort". If they insist, walk away, as this type of client will bring you nothing but grief. No one likes to kiss off business opportunities, but sometimes, you have to take the high ground and let them seek someone else. If they do, they'll quickly hear the same things from the other NA, so you'll be instantly vindicated, not to mention will not have your name and reputation attached to an expensive boondoggle.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.