Design Ratios, British And Metric Units

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by BASIL J WALL, Nov 10, 2011.

1. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I think that's what a lot of us do, Basil.

I always work with the true dimensionless ratios for design, but all my spreadsheets that use them have a few lines to convert them to the traditional form, just in case someone wants to compare them.

2. BASIL J WALL

BASIL J WALL designer

Thanks Matt...
    I will now modify my spread sheets...
    Basil

3. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Thanks for the explanation Matt. In my design work, I use the S.I. system the modern method of the metric, to be on the mainstream. But in my work as a surveyor, I still encounter a lot of ships with the U.S. English system and our reporting requires us to report the fuel in the Imperial system because the country I work for has adopted the British system. You will also be surprised that the word ton is so frequently used without reference to M.T., S.T., or L.T. Makes me think the world has not changed after all.

Its nice to know there are other ways of expressing DLR ratio as the Principles of Naval Architecture stiil list the design lane in DLR ratio. Have to "modernize" my spreadsheet so I can work purely on dimensionless ratio.

4. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

What does the S stands for. Or what does S/Sqrt(displ x L) stands for?

5. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Essentially a performance rating number for monohull sailboats which can be calculated from generally available information. Eric Sponberg included it in his "The Design Ratios" article: http://www.sponbergyachtdesign.com/Articles.htm

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.