Design parameters for Keel Pad

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Wayne Grabow, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Wayne Grabow

Wayne Grabow Senior Member

When looking at posted photos of the construction sequence for Ken Basset's runabout design, RASCAL, I noticed the keep pad design which is supposed to markedly improve planing performance. The keel pad appeared to me to resemble a large waterski integrated into the bottom of the boat. Since I am working on a design for which it wouldn't be too difficult to incorporate a similar design feature, I am wondering if I can get some advice on any critical parameters. How fast do you need to be going (19' hull) to make a keel pad worthwhile? I suppose that its area should be proportional to the supported weight and intended speed range. Looks like it is flat for most of its length with a bit of upward curve (like a waterski) at the front. Any guidance on what portion of the overall chine beam should be included in its width? Any major drawbacks at non-planing speeds? Any internet papers which discuss this feature in detail? All help will be appreciated.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.