Design Modification Questions and Thoughts

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by CatBuilder, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Why don't You ask the original designer to do those modifications for You? I believe it is the right way.

2. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

I remember from a previous post on Charly's thread how you feel about the red tape and our friends at the Coast Guard so I will take it for granted you have considered them re these modifications and for that matter the basic inspection process.

Have you thought of a Gold Coast type setup for a helm aft? A raised centerline platform aft of the cockpit seating with a deckhouse roof extension leading to a console with all lines leading over the roof.

A good autopilot will give you remote steering in several locations. A double ended mainsheet will give you Main control in two locations. An electric winch for the jib could probably be wired remote to give you remote control of the jib sheet.

A forward helm on a boat this type looks cold and wet to me, and from my own experience I want to see whats going on with the pax and they like access to the Capt.

Steve

3. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Keys, ok... we can bring up the old CG again. I think I said this before, but I have no Coast Guard Inspection. I do term charters, not day charters. 6 pax max in 3 double staterooms. Additionally, making your bow square or putting in a forward cockpit in no way affects the boat's ability to carry passengers in terms of a COI (which I don't need anyway).

I will take a look at the Gold Coast setup idea. Thank you for the input. I will explore the idea. My jib is (thankfully) self tacking on this boat. I have it very easy so long as it's windy enough.

4. CatBuilder

I have solved the problem of squaring off those dropping bows. With Eric's post, I got to thinking... what does it mean to keep the same level all the way to the tip of the bow?

It means keeping the same distance from the waterline.

So... the modification was fantastically simple to do...

All I had to do was take my life size hull plot and trace out the normal station for the dropped bow. Next, I moved the plot up from the waterline by the distance (at that station) that the bow was sloping. The two traces then intersect at the exact correct, fair location. No battens, no bungee chords, nothing but trace and cut.

Presto! Non sloping bows! I have the first 3 stations for the bows cut out and am working back toward station #9, amidships which is the last one since I already did the stern.

5. CatBuilder

I can't. Poor Kurt has had plenty of questions from me. I save my time with him for the really difficult questions. These aren't so difficult.

6. yellowcat

yellowcat Junior Member

Eric is right, i used those in a cat repair and it worked fine, especially for hard to reach areas. You will have to consider deep sanding the existing hull at meet joints and epoxy fill even the surface, you may have to repaint the whole hull until ... perhaps not the interior of the hulls , not seen as much. On youtube, there are cats showned under "sig45 high performance catamaran" and also " tcdesign catamarans" , you may want to have the pleasure to look at them for ideas. Did you consider asking Gurit for the maximum lenght corecell battens... by any chance.
    On further thoughts, i think the front 8 feet or so top should be fine curved, not flat, it will look good when water hits it, this is one of the most sexy aspect of the Nacras i am sailing. It also prevents too. You realise water will splash up more.
    Best
    Mike

7. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

6 pack, no inspection, no CG, No problem.

What you gonna do for power? Generator?

The company I work for may have some things you are interested in.

PM me if you want for more info, we have an office in Boston.

Steve

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.