Design James Bond's Boat - Fiction Writer Needs Help

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by MichaelPollens, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Heres some powerboats that might fit:

Attached Files:

2. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

OK, it’s easier to think of it as a high-speed power boat capable of being reconfigured as a sailboat, with the performance emphasis on the power boat. I can make guesses of the reasons but that’s not the point here. My suggestion:-

Start with the Cabot Rico Pilot 38, stretched a/r. See http://www.jordanyachts.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/38-kretchmer-review.pdf page 7.

For the movie the full-length keel is actually in 2 halves that split and fold outwards, deploying (inflatable?) wave-piercing pontoons. Trade the prop for a water-jet. Fold the mast and rig cunningly.

It will degrade the sailboat’s performance a bit but should allow normal accommodation for the purpose of a movie. I’m not sure how to present the transition so the audience can observe the deployment process, but let’s see how the membership savages my concept first . . .

3. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Real?

Am I missing something here? JBs boats NEVER survive till the end of the movie, so there is no reason the boat has to return to a sailboat. That really frees up the design process, and makes the transition really practical. Start with a decent deep-V power boat under body, make the topsides somewhat convincing, fit a bulb on a foil and a carbon fiber/dyneema rig. The rig can be blown up and burned ( makes a good show), the keel can be dropped (they fall off often enough anyway) and you are left with a decent powerboat. Zoom! B

4. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Why not just up scale the MacGregor 26. It's hull design (shape)works so why lock yourself into the Cambria hull shape which no matter how much power you drive it with will never reach 50 knots. Simply mention in your writings that the engineers at Mac Gregor were called upon to create a big brother with the same features. Very few would ever question that it was stretching the truth. As a matter of engineering fact to achieve your vision it will have to be a very similar hull shape. When it comes time to produce a movie think of the savings in special effects.--Geo.

5. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Not a lot of craft can do something like this, quite expensive too.
    http://www.gentryeagle.com/
    [​IMG]
    A SES (Surface Effect Ship) like this might also do the trick:

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/military-recon-powerboat-concept-15137-10.html

6. ancient kayaker

I think your missing post # 15: “And no, the boat first has to make a fifty knot crossing from Liverpool to New York, and gets used again and again, so it has to be able to be able to go back and forth; and no, the speedboat launch won't work, dramatically.”
    There could be many reasons for insisting on the Cambria; could be a sponsorship issue, maybe it’s the pet boat of the movie producer’s mistress, perhaps it’s plot-related, or a scene will be shot at the boatyard . . . who knows? - but alternative suggestions are being ignored so perhaps we should work with what we’ve been given.

7. ancient kayaker

Let's have a gas turbine engine in the power configuration, should make for a nice spool-up sound while mechanisms are deploying.

8. Village_Idiot

Village_Idiot Senior Member

You could do a removable keel that is jettisoned at the last moment. To replace, you simply inflate a keel mold that has a water-activated hardener impregnated into the inflateable material, then refill with fuel, innocuous mercury, harmless ice, or whatever other liquid you can think of, ready to be jettisoned again at a moment's notice.

Forget the diesel and think turbines - very powerful in a small lightweight package... and put the high-speed ship on hydrofoils (old technology but still has futuristic wow).

But I still think you need the flywheel - it could be the future of a modern luxury sailing yacht, controlled by gyroscopes/gyrometers to maintain whatever list you desire, regardless of a keel. If nothing else, the flywheel can be a backup system to the jettisoned keel.

All of this can get into much greater detail, which is perfect for a novel, but not so much for movies. This is why movies are so different from the novels - the movie director will take great liberal strides to attract attention and ignore details (most people only remember three things from a given monologue/dialogue anyway). Perhaps your story would be more suited to a "Tom Clancy - style" novel/movie?

However, I am not a novelist nor am I a movie director...

9. ancient kayaker

A problem with hydrofoils is getting a displacement style sailboat hull up to sufficient speed to create enough lift with the hydroplanes to raise the hull out of the water so it can build up speed . . . it doesn't really matter for a movie but there is an expressed concern here for realism.

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

------------------
    Its not too much of a problem. A foiling, self-righting keelboat is possible. It's been done on an rc model but not yet full size though it may be about to-see : http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sailboats/foiling-keelboat-30-a-38395-3.html#post470010

11. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

And you've got to have some uav's, especially the sneaky little hummingbird spy ones.

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I wouldnt worry too much about being credible, look at that stupid little jet boat that shot out of the MI 6 building and landed in the Thames , and what about that under sea Lotus and that totally ludicrous AMC with wings on it.

Na na na its gotta a be something in space with Alotta Virgina and Ivana Humpalot.

Maybe something like an old fashioned Police box that is massive inside, and little Garbage bins turned upside down running in circles with funny garbled voices,---that sounds good.

By the way,--a message to all International criminals. When you next catch James bond shoot him through the head immediately. Do not show him round your nuclear power plant and then lock him in a room with a bird in a bikini. My advice is kill him straight away and not strap him to a moving table with a painfully slow lazer gun saw.

He will escape ---im telling ya

13. fg1inc

fg1inc Guest

Frosty, believe it or not, the undersea Lotus was real. I was looking out my living room window (facing the Intracoastal and the Lake Worth Inlet) early one Sunday morning when the damn thing surfaced. It sat on the surface next to the mother ship for a few minutes and then went back down. I figured it was a car that had run off the road somewhere.
    I went to work the next day (a sub-contract job at a local submarine builder) and found out that it was built, top secret, right there. The biggest problem they had was that it was too fast for their pilots and kept running into stuff. The wheels were fake though, and they actually built two of them - one for underwater and one for the transition scenes, water to land, land to water. There's a scene where it comes out of the water onto a crowded beach and you can see the tow cable moving through the sand,

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Yeah ---well I have a superfluous nipple.

I don't think I would be a good fiction writer. Im more of a friction writer.

15. ancient kayaker

Sometimes we really embarrass ourselves on this forum.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.