Design competition

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by dskira, Nov 30, 2009.

1. ppoulos

ppoulos New Member

We've been to Desolation Sound several times, and I highly recommend it! Although, you'll be lucky if it's only drizzling, best to simply expect rain.

Peter

2. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Ah..yes .. one place I certainly hope to visit one day...
    I spent my Xmas cruising in warmer climes....

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  3. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

damn if only Lewis and Clark would have found that passage from the Mississippi river to the Pacific Ocean. I'd be there! ;)

1 person likes this.
  4. M-Sasha

M-Sasha Guest

Make it twice the size and leave the canvas at home and it could attract Richard.:D

Really a nice boat, and a nice imagination to sit there on a cold autumn day.

Sasha

5. M-Sasha

M-Sasha Guest

Just stumbled about this

That is a real loss.

I know at least one of these rowdies! Stu, or whoosh, or lazeyjack! He attacked Daniel regularely with mails and PM, and Richard and me too.

He should avoid the Ukraine, I know how to apply a good tanned hide! Germany should not be on his trip as well, Richard is not a weak enemy.

Sad to see, that those ill minded critters scare the nice guys off.

Very sad.

6. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

well, I tell ya what. While it is sad to lose good people (and I will agree that Daniel actually had some nice contributions...not so sure about some of the others mentioned), it takes a bit of a thick skin to be in a public 'space'. Boatdesign.net has grown a lot from the days when there was a core group of very knowledgeable people and the rest of us who were willing 'apprentices'.

It's time to accept that those days are gone. As the web gets filled more and more with wannabes and trolls, it is inevitable that they will make their way here. There are ways to reduce or eliminate this activity. It requires the diligence of a prison guard and dictator-like command. But, actions like that have proven to be the demise of boards which initiated it.

On one of the other boards I frequent, we have a term for dealing with it:

HTFU. The first two words being 'Harden The'. I'll let you figure out the rest. And really, it's not a bad attitude to take.

With that said, of all the sailing related forums I've been on, this one has a fair share of wimps. OTOH, this site also boast the highest number of folks who really do know what the hell they're talking about. Maybe there's a connection to really smart people being wimps.

Any community is only as strong as its inhabitants. Maybe it's time Boatdesign.net do a little HTFU

and I mean that in the nicest, fuzzy, kitty kind of way.

7. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

OK Will, if you are trolling for compliments, I will bite. The boat looks just great:)

The ability to close it in gives a ton of room at anchor and also looks good. What body of water were you cruising in? Looks very snug for cruising next winter. Methinks you have done well with your version of O1.

8. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

Will, that's your little mini superyacht, right?

I think you're on to something.

Sasha, thanks for the compliments. I really hope the boat gets built some day.

9. Willallison

Who... me... to think that I could be so vain...?;) Thanks for the kind words nonetheless....:p

We spent ten fabulous days over Xmas cruising the southern reaches of the D'Entrecasteaux Channel, which is south of Hobart. And in my view represents some of the best cruising in Oz. The weather was fine (38C on new years eve was a tad too hot!), generally light winds, and diving / fishing is still worth the effort (lobster, abalone and flathead cooked ashore over the fire can be hard to beat...)

As far as the boat goes, I'm very pleased with the way its turned out. You're right, it has an enormous amount of room in it for what is essentially a fairly narrow (2.8m), 28 foot boat. With the 4 of us on board, we never felt the onset of cabin fever creeping up on us.
    I guess in some ways, it is my version of O-1 - though certainly a larger, more luxurious and certainly more expensive version than I would have planned for the O-1 brief. There's a bunch of pics of Graphite that I posted a few days ago in the Gallery...

10. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Will,

I was under the impression that Australian road rules limited trailing width to 2.5M. Do you need a special permit? Any boat of this general size that can keep four people happy for more than a day or so is a good one.

My 28 footer is the max beam for the US without a permit at 2.6M or 8' 6". The first one is being finished and I hope to see it in the water this spring.

Just looked at your gallery and am even more impressed. The interior is sleek and appears very functional.

Attached Files:

11. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Really a nice boat Will, as is yours Tom.

For something completely different I guess this is my inadvertent take on O1. This design was strictly dictated by the client, built in Core-Cell foam at Crusader Boats in Florida. She is legally trailerable in Florida with a molded beam of 9'10.5" or 3.0m. Length is just under 30', weight is.....heavy. The owner wanted every piece of equipment you could possibly install on such a boat, plus big tanks. Twin 200HP Verado's push her at 32+ knots for the moment.

29 026.jpg

29 024.jpg

View attachment 29 029.avi

12. Willallison

Tom,
    Max width of the trailer wheels is 2.4m, regardless of the width of what is on the trailer. For a load between 2.4 and (I think) 3.2m, one must display and "overwidth" sign on the back and have a flashing light on the tow vehicle. Some areas of some states also have roads that are restricted to vehicles below the 2.4m width - though these are rare enough for it not to pose any real problem. Anything over that requires special permits and front &/or rear warning vehicles.

Tad,
    Cool boat! I'm surprised that the tow vehicle shown in the pics is rated to tow such a heavy load...
    Twin 200's ... Nice engines those Verado's.... a good example of the penalty of weight: Graphite is somewhat under-propped but manages the same 32 knot top end with its single 260hp yanmar. Tom's example is lighter again, I suspect, and no doubt has a top of aorund 20 with.. what... a 90hp o/b?

Actually - getting back to the thread topic... the original O-1 brief would be a good one for a design comp......

13. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Will...

I was thinking the Florida boat will be about 9500 pounds at full load, though I won't be surprised if its more. I don't know the level of completion so no idea of current weight.....

Care to disclose weight on Graphite?

14. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

All three boats are about as much different as they are similar. Mine is the lightweight of the group, which is what I favor in the interest of economy.

Tad, I assume that the owner of your boat plans to run offshore for fishing and needs all that power. I'm a bit puzzled about the bow thruster with twin engines? I discourage those who wish to load up my boats with too much stuff, but then, I don't do this for a living:D

I project a top speed of 24 kts with the Etec 90hp. Max designed displacement is 4000 lb and a dry weight of 2450 lb.

15. Willallison

I haven't had a chance to physically weigh Graphite yet, but calculations based on the known load and waterline suggest that it's in the vacinity of 2600kg dry.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.