Design challenge - small "commuter" to travel 1500km in 2 days

joceline

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2011
Posts
22
Reaction score
0
Location
Europe
Ok, so I have this problem: I have a rather long commute. 1500km from my home to my jobsite.

Where I work, we take airplanes. But I don't like it. A few months ago, the airplane we used to take (Let L-410) crashed, killing everyone (except one) on board, including the country's most famous pilot. Now we do tiny Fokkers. We have at least four landings and take-offs to get to the job. I don't like this either.

So now some of us have started talking boats. My jobsite is alongside a river that connects our home to it (1500km separate the two).

Ok, boats. We can build a big one to transport the entire crew (8 people) and luggage. Or we can build a tiny commuter, for just one or two persons. Because some of the staff don't mind risking their lives, and they don't object to continuing to take the Fokker.

So I'm looking into a tiny "motorcycle" for the river, to make the journey in two days. Should be fast, stable and shallow-draft. Efficient too. (Yes, the whole smack).

I was thinking of something of this kind: http://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=10570 (also because I like WIG-craft).

skarver.jpg


But nobody's ever built such a thing. And I'm unsure.

What are my options? I mean, realistic proposals?


PS: my airplane ticket costs US$800 (return). So I have $400 to spend on fuel for each single trip (I grant the boat to myself as a gift, so I wont take its cost into account).
 
why not an air cushion type?

can you refuel on the way?
 
I am not sure if this is a serious thread, but anyways... That WIG craft in the pic is a nice rendering but is not a viable design. I can't see who or what could be rescued with it. But yes, it does tease sci-fi souls (like mine). :)
The easiest and probably the cheapest solution: how about moving closer to your jobsite, or finding a job closer to where you live? ;)
 
931 miles (1500 k) across two days is 19.4 MPH (31.22 k) per hour average speed, not including stops for fuel. What body of water are you referring to?
 
That WIG craft in the pic is a nice rendering but is not a viable design. I can't see who or what could be rescued with it. But yes, it does tease sci-fi souls (like me). :)

Why is it not a viable design? Replace the exotic prop with a normal one, increase wing-length a bit, and add floaters under the wings. Could work.

The easiest and probably the cheapest solution: how about moving closer to your jobsite, or finding a job closer to where you live? ;)
Sadly this is not possible.

Look, I don't like airplanes. That's why I want something on water. The WIG is the ideal solution, in between!
 
931 miles (1500 k) across two days is 19.4 MPH (31.22 k) per hour average speed, not including stops for fuel. What body of water are you referring to?

Mm, I'm not going to move at night. A full day of cruising would be 10 hrs. So average speed would have to be 75km/h (46.6 mph), two days in a row. Quite a challenge.
 
PAR, 31.2 kts would be for a non-stop trip. If we assume that he will have to stop for some sleep, meal and walk, it will be closer to 35-40 kts average speed.
This is a very strange request, I have to say.
 
Why is it not a viable design? Replace the exotic prop with a normal one, increase wing-length a bit, and add floaters under the wings. Could work.
At least you can see a prop in that picture, because I'm failing to see one. Actually, no propulsion plant is visible at all. ;)
It would have to be a much bigger beast in order to carry a useful load. at this size, the speed would have to be so high and the flight level so low that it would very probably be a very short one-way trip...

Look, I don't like airplanes. That's why I want something on water. The WIG is the ideal solution, in between!
There are WIGs available at the market, and the working ones. This one is just not an option.

Cheers
 
Don't the Russians have some wig craft that would do the job?
 
Soviet Hydrofoils!

Meteor is the most popular and ecoomical river-going hydrofoil ferry. Full-load displacement 54.3 tons, speed 35 knots, passengers 124, range 600 km.

meteor.jpg



Volga is a small hydrofoil vessel. Around 6,800 boats have been built. Full-load displacement 1.9-2.6 tons, speed 29-33.5 knots, passengers 6, range 97-160 n.m.

volga.jpg
 
For sure I like Soviet-WIGs, especially this one, designed by Luigi Colani:

1zeaxjp.jpg


But sadly my pocket money isn't all that impressive. I'm more looking into something that doesn't cost much more than an average China-made motorcycle. Upping the challenge!
 
Realistically, I bet after a couple trips of that size across any stretch of water, in ANYTHING you build, and you will realize first hand how much safer just taking a plane is. And definitely the most practical....

An airplane escapes a lot of dangers that a boat can't.
 
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making any potentially dangerous or financial decision, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.

  • Back
    Top