Defining Midship

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Tim Hall, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

It has been mixed. However once the “errors” were identified it has been very consistent. But you need to ask yourself are you after an absolute value or a good ball park figure?

The commercial tank testing we did, we use the same tank same set up as for all our hulls, thus minimising any systematic errors, which we noted in years gone by. Our own in-house tank testing, the same. We use the same methodology, tank etc etc…thus minimising systematic errors. The results have been very good.

But it is not just about the “prediction”. The build is very important. If you do not keep a tight control on your build, and not actually monitor it, you’ll end up with serious anomalies which at first are hard to explain by a mathematical review!

2. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

It's a lot closer to CFD than the regression based formulas.

Michlet is physics based. Same as CFD.

Michlet uses simplified equations. So does all or virtually all CFD practical for marine applications.

Michlet uses an approximate boundary condition. So does most CFD used for free surface marine problems.

Michlet uses an intergral formulation. What is commonly refered to as CFD uses field equation formulations.

Many folks using and promoting CFD do not fully comprehend the approximations inherent in the various variaties of CFD.

;)

3. Tim Hall

Tim Hall Junior Member

Thanks for the discussion guys...good stuff. Ad Hoc: thanks for the definitions there. Obviously Cwp and Cvp are no-brainers, because there's no question of where the waterplane is. Just for the record here's my perspective on all this:

1) I realize the form coefficients are more or less theoretical (i.e. the boat is what is regardless of what the numbers say). But being new to this, it's important for them to tell me something, and that I'm calculating them so they're meaningful.

2) I'm not too concerned about how accurately KAPER is going predict performance. When you go to paddle the boat, you're not going to know if real world conditions are matching up to the resistance curve you had plotted.

This whole thing came about basically because I had a hunch my prismatic was a bit beefy, KAPER seemed to confirm this, and then it called into question exactly how the coefficients should be calculated and how meaningful they are depending on how they're defined.

4. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Yes, but just because a duck makes waves similar to a kayak doesn't mean that either should be referred to as a "ship". :)

5. Kayakmarathon

Kayakmarathon Senior Member

Restarting this thread

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the max draft T and max beam waterline BWL don't always reside on the same section. For such an often used design characteristic, it was never presented in "Principles of yacht design" - Larsson, Eliasson or "Yacht Design According to Perry" Robert Perry.

1.) What advantage does such a geometry have?
    2.) What is the rule of thumb to locate T?
    3.) what is the rule of thumb to locate BWL?
    4.) what is the optimal sweep ( by connecting the T of every buttock)when viewed in profile?

FYI when I construct a simple hull in a spreadsheet with this kind of swept midsection:
    1.) LWL, LOA = 500 cm
    2.) BWL = 40 cm, located on station 6
    3.) T = 10 cm, "located" on station 4
    4.) straight keel
    5.) parabolic waterplanes
    6.) parabolic "section"

The max section area falls between sections 5 and 6.
    The max section area is ~1.5% different from the area if T and BWL were on the same section. This is such a small error that other sources of error due to manual design masked it.

A prism based on the max section area has hull surface points residing outside the prism. Now that computers are used extensively, I would recommend using the PROJECTED submerged section area instead of the max section area for prismatic coefficient.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.