Deck Guns

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by netjaws, Sep 6, 2006.

1. netjaws

netjaws Junior Member

I'd like to learn about heeling moments due to the recoil actions of guns. Any suggested reading?

2. RANCHI OTTO

RANCHI OTTO Naval Architect

It depends if you are speaking about boats or large ships...a 20 mm installed on a medium/small boat has no recoil, see GIAT...

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Can't think of any suggested reading, but any first-year physics textbook will cover impulse-momentum methods. Finding the impulse of a gun shot isn't hard, now you just turn that into a couple about the roll axis of the hull... say, this is a good exam problem for APSC/112 next year :D

4. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

In an ac130 the 7 barral mini gun ,when fired causes the pilot to correct yawl, dont think boats have the same problem because of wieght and draft.provided it is a gun boat.

5. netjaws

netjaws Junior Member

Right, well I'm thinking along the lines of a shotgun fired whilst standing in a dinghy or a Boston Whaler. Proportionally, I would guess that's like mounting a 5" deck gun on a minesweeper.

I did an extensive search for publications dealing with this sort of thing, which didn't yield anything.

6. RANCHI OTTO

RANCHI OTTO Naval Architect

20mm gun installed in a + 50 knots boat having a length of 12 m.

During fire tests, the NAJA ASD 12 has demonstrated to be able to shoot against target during manoeuvring at full speed.

This kind of guns have no recoil at all.

Attached Files:

7. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Look up gunning dorys. It is not the satbility of the boat that would be in question, but wether the man keeps his balance as the boat responds (most likely to his rapidly standing up vice the actual shot).

8. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Get out to a safe place and do some experimenting. Wear a lifevest & beware of frigid waters.

The Whaler is going to be much more stable than all but the largest dinghy.

I'd start out firing while seated, this will give a little idea of what the recoil is going to do. Next rise into a broad legged crouch. Then with a firm wide stance try from the standing position.

Use the same ammo you will while hunting or whatever you have on your mind. Recoil can vary significantly with higher powered rounds.

This is more a matter of commonsense than one needing complicated calculation.

I fired my 45/70 Gov't from a 14'3" aluminum skiff without conciously thinking upon the lines you are. But I do have considerable experience with both firearms & boats. If you are new to either a cautious approach is well warranted.

Take care.

TGoz

9. Toot

Toot Senior Member

I think it's important to consider what season it is.

Are sailboats in season? What about kids with water wings? I think kids with waterwings season runs from June 15th through September 30th. Of course, it's always open season on Pirates.

Just don't hit any spotted owls.

Hope this helps.

10. tom_fry24

tom_fry24 Junior Member

Basic Question

is it posible to post my own post as well as just replying to yours and how do I go about it if so? thanks.:confused:

11. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Tom,

Go into new posts, pick a catagory (such as "Open Discussion"), enter it and at the upper left you will see a "New Thread" button. Click that and you are set to go.

There are probably other ways- thats just the one I figured out.

Welcome to the Forum.

TGoz

12. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"I think kids with waterwings season runs from June 15th through September 30th. Of course, it's always open season on Pirates."

The only open season that is World wide 24/7/365 is on Jet Skis.

No need for a noisy gun , simply unravel 3ft hunks of old pollypro rope ( anything that floats) into the component strands.

Sprinkle them liberaly in the path of the jet skis , and when the line is injested , the pump freezes , and the noise and wakes STOP!

Very pleasant !

FAST FRED

13. ducknuts

ducknuts Junior Member

The best way I always thought was to just throw rocks at thier heads while zipping over the top of my fishing lure, same end result as the rope, just as fun!

14. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Very good advice Fred, unfortunately not about the question! But there again after some 6 or 7 posts who does (and Fred I will remember that one, it's even better than the floating rope trick which 'tailpipes' the scroat)

Just remember all guns have recoil it's how you suppress it that matters, as long as you don't fire a 'broadside' you shouldn't have to much bother! might go the other way rather quickly but as long as it's not fired over the beam no problems (making sure that the gun ain't too big for the boat - a 12 pounder on a whaler might not be to clever- but you'd sink with the weight before you got anywhere anyway!)

15. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

Take a look at the New Jersey letting loose. I had no idea those babies went sideways so fast.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.