Daggerboards or bilge keels on cat.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Landlubber, Apr 21, 2010.

1. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

If already built then I suspect it be the daggerboards. fully raised they offer least draft for poling/trolling in shoal water, and I assume they don't have to be all the way down for less than optimal sailing.

I have a question: why do cat center/dagger boards need cases built into the hulls? Any reason they can't be pivoted like leeboards? Would provide better access for maintenance and eliminate a source of leakage.

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

On this boat the rudders are the lowest part, they are fixed, and the idea of mini keels was to protect them and remove all the hassel of the dagger board lifting gear. Yes the boat is ready to paint, but that does not mean we cannot modify still. The dagger boards are built, someone with the same design can use em if need be.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.