d.i.y outrigers.?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by joco, Jul 13, 2010.

1. joco

joco Junior Member

ok there you go.

i got kayaks here and canoes but i want to fish mainly standing up in them.

i do have some scotty outrigers..but i would like some ideals off some outriger i could make off my own.

BUT have to be close to the yak itself not to far on each side.

i no pool noodle do the job made wit some pvc tuve..but i want something that is nice looking to..not just convenient..its not for the look but still look ok..hahah

thnaks

joco

2. Deadeye

Deadeye Bender of Nails

I'm converting a pirogue at the moment.
    I laminated a the beams from 1/8 X 1" strips of D Fir and I'm making a mold for the floats themselves.
    I left the beams long to make sure I had enough space to paddle and I'll trim them to length after I sea-trial it.

PVC pipe is great for figuring out the rough dimensions and bouyancy you need for the finished amas. I tried carving the amas out of solid foam but quickly figured out that, by just making one and using it as a mold I can get two that are (obviously) symmetrical and that contain nothing but air. I'll put one 1/4" ply bulkhead at each mounting point - that will also compartmentalize the amas in case they get damaged.

One of my criteria is that everything, including the sail rig and leeboard, needs to stow inside the cockpit or strap to the deck for transport so I agree with keeping the amas as close to the hull as possible while still leaving room to paddle.

3. joco

joco Junior Member

thanks any pict off all this.?

joco

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.