custom tri, help me evauate it please

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by taezow, Jul 17, 2009.

1. taezow

taezow Junior Member

This is a boat that I'm thinking of buying.
    Any input would be nice

http://www.boats.com/boat-details/indexA/Custom-Trimaran/19445521

He build it with Constant Camber cold molded vacuumed bagged.
    Is this a good thing?

It was designed to cross North America on the Inland Passage. This takes 5 portages, so it is dismatable. So I can trailer it, one of my requirements.

A 10 ft long keel protected with stainless for shallow water protection. It doesn’t point as well as if it had a dagger board, but I’m not a racer.

It has an inboard diesel, wish it had and out board for weight and no prop drag but then again I’m planning to use it as a limited cruiser not a race boat.

The A-frame masts are easily stepped for ducking under bridges, but it is different and makes me a little nervous.

I want to do the Baja Ha Ha, to Cobo San Lucas go down into Mexico a ways then up to the end of the Sea Of Cortez then trailer it home.

Trailer it to Florida, go to Bahamas, Cuba, and maybe Jamaica.

I question going down into the Caribbean for it will probably not beat well enough for that trip. I could be surprised and it could motor sail to weather just fine. That is how many cruisers go to weather anyway.

I like an f27 Corsair because they are a proven design so I would be comfortable doing the trips I’m dreaming of, but I can't afford one. This boat could be great for what I want but I’m a little scared because I really don’t know what I will be getting with a custom built boat.

Your thoughts would he helpful.

Thank you

2. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.