Curve of area...Stu

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Turner, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Turner

Turner New Member

Stu,

Heard you were out sick today. Hope it isn't the le gripe. I know I owe you all money but couldn't resist asking a small question. I redesigned the hull of my vessel. Considering the curve of area. When we last corresponded you wrote of increasing the forward area stations 4-0 stating that the shape (curve of area) should look more like a wine glass than a pumkin seed. You know that reminds me of something I learned from Bruce Lee. He would say that "water is unlike any other substance, you put water in a bowl it becomes the bowl, you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup, now water can flow, and water can crash, YOU my friend must be more like water. Hmmm. Oh yes now back to that curve of area. You see I can't imagine what type of wine glass you mean. I have designed the curent vessel so that the curve looks well like a "shaken not stirred" or a "some people claim there is a woman to blame" type of a glass. The maximum volume is between sections 5 and 6 aprox. station 5.5. Depending on placement of engine, or mast (including sail force) the mast is at station 3.8. (it seem about right with the boat only being 30feet on the waterline.) Both the bow and stern have a slight hollow the aft portion still showing considerable volume over the fwd. sections. I know its like watcha think without having something tangable in front of you to see. The short question is should the curve be moved so that the maximum area is right at or forward of staion 5. I see the sail force being matched in a down angle while the wave force conteracts hopefully pushing the boat more through the wave than the boat being lifted by the wave itself.
    Last I would like your input on the fuction of laminar flow and the cure of area if the integral of the curve is taken and then analysed by use of some equation for flow. (http://ocw.mit.edu/NR/rdonlyres/Ocean-Engineering/)then is this the key in determinging hull shape focusing primarily on the cure of area over the waterlines. (taking the same equation for flow rate). Which is more important to laminar flow and knowing that this is in a static state how can wave and other flux in surface be more constant or gerneralized than varibles. I know that that is like asking to predect just what a wave will do.
    Well that's it I am going to try and send ya all the 150. for the three month extention. Which leaves me to ask. I thought at your own pace means at your own pace." Is this still true. And is it true that it took Dave 14 years to make it through the course. How much did he have to spend. Oh one last thing I am going to build this boat so could you please take a look at the other profiles I send I know it may seem like I am burning out but I really thought think that if I loft this one out (I couldn't do it on the sands of cannon beach it was to windy so I found a gym floor the pice of plastic seems to we working well. It kind of sucks I have to carry a rage full of solvent to erase .
    I really think that this may be the next step in building this boat from there I could use this peace of plastic cutting out the sections and makeing plates out of them and then transfering them to plywood to hold the battens for the mold...on and on and on.. all this to build a boat this must be why they call it a labor of love. Hey is it ture that the guy who designed the J boats droped out of westlawn. Well thats really it I know you arn't feeling well so I won't rebel on. I will try you on that other site you gave me boatdesin.com just incase you are there.

Best regards
    Travis Turner

I included a photo

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.