cruising costs, maintenance and price of the boat (sailboats versus motorboats)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Vega, Apr 28, 2006.

1. mamo

mamo Junior Member

420 is 1220 kg. havier than 440..
    and sail area smaller..
    so, its performance must be worse..

2. mamo

mamo Junior Member

3. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Yes, I have said that, the 440 will be faster, but regarding weight we are talking of 0,9T in 14T, and about the sail area, the 44 version with short mast has less sail area (96.5 to 98.0). Of course if you want a fast boat you will buy the sportier version, but if you want an easier and safer cruising boat you will buy the one with the short mast, and for this one the performance will be very similar.

What you gain is a boat that wastes half the fuel and comes already with an incorporated genset. A boat that will need a lot less maintenance in what regards the engines and a boat that will recharge its batteries while sailing.

It is obvious that the boat have interested a lot of people and that doesn't mean that you find it appealing, it all depends of what you want of a cruising boat, speed or cruising costs with a reasonable speed.

4. catmando2

catmando2 Malaysia bound....soon

still amazed that people can think that a boat that weighs that much can be "performance"

Lagoon 440

Overall length 12,61 m / 41'4''
    Waterline length 12,30 m / 40'4''
    Beam 7,50 m / 24'7"
    Draft 1,26 m / 4'2"
    Light displacement 11,720 kg / 25,800 lbs
    Max displacement (EEC) 12,800 kg / 31,800 lbs

compared to say a

Specifications - Cosmos 1320

http://www.schionningdesigns.com.au/www/welcome.cfm

L.O.A
    13.20 metres

B.O.A
    7.50 metres

Headroom in hulls
    1.9 metres

Headroom in bridgedeck
    1.9 metres

Payload
    1800 kilograms

Displacement
    6274 kilograms

B/Deck clearance
    800mm

Or infact my current 50 foot cat

with a lightship of 4700 kg

loaded disp 8500 kg

Dave

5. Vega

Vega Senior Member

I was not talking of performance boats. The boats you are talking are fast cruisers, not performance cats.

As a loaded cruiser, I don’t think that the Cosmos 1320 will be significantly faster than the Lagoon 44.

Sure, the Lagoon will need a bigger engine and bigger sails, but it has bigger sails and a bigger engine.

The Cosmos Designer advertises a cruising speed of 10K. I will bet that it is very near the cruising speed for the Lagoon. Sure, in lightship condition and with lots of wind the Cosmos will do 20k and the Lagoon 16k, but those boats were not made to race in lightship condition, and if you abuse a cruising Cat, you can turn a seaworthy boat in a delicate boat to handle and compromise its seaworthiness.

I am not saying that the Cosmos is not faster, I am sure it is, what I am saying is that it is not a performance Cat and that in normal cruising circumstances it will not be much faster than the Lagoon. On the other hand, while de Cosmos has a tankage of 80L fuel and 400L water with a total payload of 1800kg, the Lagoon has a tankage of 900L water and 650L fuel with a total payload of 3000kg. This is a huge difference.

If the relatively small difference in cruising speed is worth the big advantage in cruising ability, it is something that depends on each sailor, but if I want a performance cat from Schionning designs, I would have a Growler cat. That one seems a performance one to me;) .

Regards

6. catmando2

My 50 footer is timber core and plywood bulkhead construction, not exactly renowned for being the lightest construction technique. Schionning is similiar.

Yet we can get a much lighter cat than these foam cored Lagoons

Sure, i'll agree that the Schionning is limited in it's payload,[use watermakers], but it makes up for it in performance. These will sail at 6 knots in less than 10 kn of breeze. The Lagoon would still be motoring. In 15 knots of breeze the Schionning will do a horizon job on the Lagoon.

We'll get a bit over 3000kg payload on ours, but it is more the fact that we have about the same accomidation as a 40 footer, but on a 50 footer's hulls

Saw some core samples from a 40 ft production foam cored boat over here and it had 10 mm foam and about 6 mm of glass either side of the sandwich, could the Lagoon be done in a similar fashion?

If the Lagoon was built using similar so called heavyweight building techniques like mine and Schionning,or infact used a normal foam , glass , epoxy layup and came in at a similar weight imagine how high on it's lines it would float and how much additional crap you could carry.

I just don't know how you can make a 41 foot cat that heavy.
    Do they just upend a few thousand litres of resin in the bilge for the hell of it ? Or do they have lead in their keel ? :D
    Dave

7. Vega

Vega Senior Member

The Lagoon 42 is a bad example, because it carries a lot of batteries and the batteries are made of lead. But we were discussing the 440, that is a “normal” cruising cat.
    It weights about 11 Ton, the same as a Catana 43 and not a lot more than the Dean 44 (9.5T) or the Nautitech 44 (9.2). Of course you can find in Europe lighter boats, like the Outremer 42 (6.4T), but this type of boat offers a much smaller interior a smaller load capacity and not the same strength. The Outremer and the Schionning cat are the same kind of boat.

About the Lagoon construction, you can be sure they know what they are doing. They begun as a high-tech company specialized in racing cats. Not anymore, they had turned to cruising cats, but they never abandoned the high-tech building techniques.

The hulls are made with structural contra molds and they use a sandwich mousse, polyester - Vinylester for the sides and use thick monolithic fiberglass for the bottoms.
    The bridge and the cabin are made of a sandwich balsa-poliester.

They use Vacuum-bagged infusion technologies, so I believe they don’t waste resin.

I believe they make very strong and very reliable boats.

http://www.cata-lagoon.com/ch_techno_uk.php

Regards

8. catmando2

Actually Vega the Lagoon 42 I mentioned is a rounding up of the length of the Lagoon 44 above

Lagoon 440

Overall length 12,61 m / 41'4''
    Waterline length 12,30 m / 40'4''

I understand that they are a very reputable company and they know what they are doing, but even with more accommidation and more load carrying abillity, which really just equates to a fatter waterline width, surely it would just mean that there would be a hundred or more m2 of glass/resin/core material.

This does not equate to 5000 plus extra kilos.

I am of the understanding that light ship is pretty much an empty boat, no fluids, additional batteries , extra anchoring gear, dinghys etc

So I still can't understand where the weight comes in.

Dave

9. mamo

mamo Junior Member

Highland 35, Belize 43, Lagoon 440

Thanks to Vega Vega I decided to examine all boat which I want to buy.

I was on Fountain Pajot Belize 43 sail catamaran last 3 days. I have lots of photo and sailing video. I also saw and examine a Fountain Pajot Highland 35 powercat. I will send you the photos later. I think I will charter and test Lagoon 440, Highland 35 also.

And here is the polar diagram of Lagoon 440. I think it is right.

Attached Files:

• p440.gif
      p440.gif
      File size:
      115.2 KB
      Views:
  10. catmando2

Please don't tell me that sandwich mousse is this stuff

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/Fiberglass_Boats.htm

This is not a structual foam and I would consider it a cheap ,lazy and heavy way to build a boat.

More info in this thread

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14887

I won't start on the Polyester and Balsa.

Dave

11. Vega

Vega Senior Member

What do you think about the boat?

To charter a boat is the best way to evaluate it. You know already the Pajot 43, if you charter the new Lagoon 44 you can have a better idea of both boats and you can chose a lot better, and the price of these babies justifies a good choice. The money you will spend chartering the boats is quite irrelevant, comparing with the price of the boats.

But attention, the Belize 43 is the old boat, the new model is the Orana 44 (I find it ..hum, not beautiful).

Perhaps you should also charter a Nautitech 44 (if you like the looks). It costs about the same, it is a good looking boat and I believe it is the best performer of the three (the hulls are narrower). I have heard that it is a pleasant cat to sail and that you can feel the difference, between this one and the others.

http://www.nautitech-catamarans.com/

All three are 2006 new models;)

Attached Files:

12. catmando2

Certainly getting more like it in the weight depatment Vega, and a good looking boat.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
    Length overall :
    39.30 ft

Waterline length :
    37.73 ft

Maximum beam :
    21.33 ft

Draft :
    3.94 ft

Mast height:
    49.87 ft

Lightweight :
    7.4 tonnes

Infact the 47 footer is lighter than the Lagoon 44 [really 41]

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
    Length overall :
    47.57 ft
    Waterline length :
    45.93 ft

Maximum beam :
    24.93 ft
    Draft :
    3.94 ft

Mast height :
    59.06 ft

Light weight :
    11.23 T

This I would think is a much better boat than the lagoon

Dave

13. mamo

mamo Junior Member

Light displacement of Lagoon 440 is 10.500 kg.

Attached Files:

14. catmando2

Sorry, my mistake, it would appear I did a cut and past on the wrong specs, but still, 10,500 kg is still pretty heavy in my opinion, but it's a lot better than the 42

Dave

15. mamo

mamo Junior Member

belize 43 sailing

Here is the video of Fountain Pajot Belize 43 when we were sailing last weekend. She touched sometimes 10 knots of speed at 15-20 knots wind from 45-60 degree. But it seems to me cumbersome and as if she doesnt want to go anywhere:). We cruise only main sail and genoa.(there was no gennaker or spinnaker) Below 12-10 knots of wind she doesnt move, so I dont like.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.