Cruising Catamaran

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by MrYagci, Apr 24, 2005.

1. MrYagci

MrYagci MrYagci

Hi, everybody;
    I am new in this forum. I am a yacht designer who is living in Turkey.
    I have an idea about a 9m. (27ft) cruising catamaran. I have started my design and nearly finish it. Now I am looking for a sponsor for the building. My idea is to use these boats as a charter boat, weekend boat, house boat or an extra interesting hotel room for the hotels near the seasides. Especialy in my countary the building coats are low and craftmanship is really good. If anybody interest on the subject please contact me. I am open to all the ideas.

2. davidjgray

davidjgray David Gray

Dear Mr Yagsi

I had a lovely holiday in Turkey last year (Fethiya). People seem to be building boats everywhere in a tradional wooden style. Very attractive. However, as a professional Naval Architect, I was curious about how turkish boats are going to meet European standards for recreational craft or Charter standards. Is this seen as a problem in Turkey, or is expansion into the EU seen as an opportunity?

3. MrYagci

MrYagci MrYagci

Hi, David

Thank you for your reply. First of all I should say that Fethiye is not a building region nor one of the known places of yacht production. But it is true in lots of seaside regions of Turkey the people make their own boats by theirselves as a hoby or as a very small bussines however lots of them are local. I am a naval architect and in our region up to 40-45m. luxury yachts are being builded by the boatyards. For example I am working as an engineer in one of the boatyard and we are also building RINA Classed or EU certified boats we generally work for foreign customers all round the Europe and to some places in the world. As a conclusion I may say that for the builders(I am talking about the proffesional ones) being the member of European Union member will expand their market however I think we will lost our advantage of cheap labor. Because the salary rates in EU is much higher than here, but for the standarts we dont have any problem because we are already working according to the standarts.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.