cruise boats designed

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Olusegun, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Olusegun

Olusegun engr

hi forum,
    just planing a 45 meeter catamaran with 5086 and been conscious of the total DWT i get confuse, pls what thickness of materials is the best for this project

is going to be a 2 deck with dancing floor on the top 2generator 100kw each and 2 volvo D9 500hp, max speed is 12knot pls help me out thickness of material for the HULL in mm.

Olusegun Festus

2. FMS

FMS Senior Member

On such a large multi-passenger craft this is a question for the naval architect who designed it. When discussing a small skiff it's possible to refer to similar boats for general advice. A large or commercial craft requires all the design parameters to be understood first.

3. Olusegun

Olusegun engr

yes he really do but dwt of the boat is becoming too heavy so am just thinking of a way to reduce it pls any help?

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Good advice from FMS. This is not to give an opinion but it is necessary to make many calculations before having a first estimate (still opinion) regarding the deadweight of the ship.
    Only someone who has made a boat very similar to yours could give a figure but this requires you to tell us all the aspects that can define your boat.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Why a catamaran? At those modest speeds, a barge type may be cheaper and lighter. It will also have less draft.

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Gonzo note that Olusegun will project the boat that interests him, not that you will like. The question "Why a catamaran?" is meaningless without knowing the SOR for his ship. This way you will not really help Olusegun.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If he can't answer the question, he doesn't have an SOR. Seems like your obsession with me is getting at you again :eek:

8. Olusegun

Olusegun engr

Sorry gonzo way away offshore, pls i dont have SOR whats next

thank u

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Start writing the SOR. That will drive the design specifications, etc. For example, the deck load will determine what the breams and plating will be.

10. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

That's a pretty ambiguous statement in the case of a catamaran. The design loads for the main deck, wet deck, deck beams and longitudinal girders requires a more complex analysis than is meant by loads on deck in a monohull. All these efforts is very strange to be defined in the SOR.

11. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Back to your same old rubbish again. Why don't you give it a rest.

12. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Excuse me, whitepointer23, I would like you to consult with someone to explain you that what I say is completely correct and that other things said by others are not so correct. So I try to explain. The fact that you qualify my statements of "rubish" says nothing good about you. I find it kind you try to defend people but disqualify me, not understanding what I say, looks not very smart. Yours sincerely
    Ignacio López

13. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Does it say anything good about you to follow gonzo around putting down everything he posts.

14. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

whitepointer23, all I'm trying is to defend the prestige of a profession that is very respectable. When someone says that one of his occupations is boatbuilding and design, and from the technical point of view, is dedicated to talk nonsense, there is the danger that others think that the intellectual level of designers need not to be very high. Therefore, I always try to make understand the distance, the difference, there is between a designer and another that says it is. On the internet nobody knows anyone and everyone can say what he wants but, with some people, one immediately senses what lame walk.
    That said, I think we could offer our help to Olusegun without saying things that might confuse him, or that do not serve him at all. It is not, in my opinion, just talk but to give sensible and valid answers to OP.

15. FMS

FMS Senior Member

With all due respect Tansl, I think the other questions are reasonable.
    Olusegun says he is
    "just planing"
    "a 45 meter catamaran"
    "2 deck with dancing floor on the top 2generator 100kw each and 2 volvo D9 500hp, max speed is 12knot"
    "the boat is becoming too heavy so am just thinking of a way to reduce it"

Without the specifics of the design it is impossible to suggest reducing structure designed by someone else.

I interpret "just planing" to mean the early conceptual phase.
    Without more specifics posted in the question, I don't see harm in questioning the premise behind the design.
    This is confirmed when Olusegun replied "i dont have SOR whats next."

My recommendation would be to start with a clearly defined Statement of Requirements.
    Start with fundamentals: how many people maximum and what other weights will the boat accommodate. Is the speed requirement firm or flexible? How tall does the top deck need to be? Are there limits on dimension, beam, draft by where the boat operates? What conditions will the boat operate in? And so on. Then if the existing design concept is "becoming too heavy" this statement of requirements will decide what can be reduced.

If the question is whether an existing complete design is needlessly heavy, or where substitution or redesign can achieve the same results with less weight, that is impossible to answer without all the specifics of the existing design.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.