For Creative and Quantitative People

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by CatBuilder, Apr 28, 2011.

1. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

If you have the overhead projector why not just print them on paper ..cut them out and put the paper on to the projector then you will get a black/white profile to draw around....or as suggested connect computer to tv projector and off you go ...sorry if OHP method already suggested

2. bntii

bntii Senior Member

She is off at a dog show (again!) & I am left to fend for myself.
    1inFront.jpg
    Damn sony crashed (again!) and this time I had to reload the OS to get it started...

I don't know if it was the radome I dropped on it at the shop or a virus but the thing is blue screening on me like crazy.

I am about to give in and get an apple laptop.

3. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Yikes. That's a big concern. I was thinking about it as well and thought maybe I'd need to stick some vertical sticks in temporarily to make sure the hull wasn't sagging without the bulkheads in.

Maybe I still do need plots. :confused:

4. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Install some temp. supports as per heights on your plans. Install them a few inches away from the bulkhead location to keep the section clear for measurements. Actually wouldn't be a bad idea to do this at all your bulkhead locations to correct and maintain the hulls proper shape while you are working on it. Pattern making is more of a head game than the actual challenge to make them. Often it's just a matter of a vertical plummed batten marked off in equal spaces and a builders level to mark and measure these points on the hull from the vertical batten reference. Wish I were there this is one of my favourite steps in building. Love the challenge to get it as accurate as possible--like the stoneworkers of anchient south america "knife edge tolerance" --Geo.

5. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Wow, I sure would enjoy the visit, Geo. I'm sure you wouldn't mind 90F (32C) degree average daily highs either. :)

Yes, the more I think about it, the faster it seems to just stick some supports in cut at the right length (they will not even need attachment - can be jammed in, with gravity/friction holding them in place).

Then, as you mention, I can go and do my patterns from there. Some spare 1x2 will work just fine for supports. I have some 1x2 left from building the mold battens.

Luckily, I don't need anywhere near the tolerance you are suggesting, as my designer specifically says the bulkhead cannot touch the hull anywhere. So, I can do sloppy work because it'll all be behind the coves holding them in anyway.

Seems fastest to do this now... I will get started on it tomorrow morning. Today was my first day off in many months. I did laundry and just messed around on the computer. What an amazing break from building. Back to work tomorrow though.

6. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Well no break for me today-primed the walls in a new bathroom renovation, replaced a rusted out oil pan on my 1984 Jeep cj7, cut out all my the patterns for my new keel mold and just come in from the shop for supper 10:00 o'clock in the pm. Ya I would enjoy a few days from this salt mine cutting out bulkheads in 90 deg. sun shine--Hoping tomorrow is a good day to start assembling the keel mold. --- per adua ad astra--Geo.

7. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I cut the sidewalls out of the teardrop trailer yesterday and am re-building it with a 61" width floor, eliminating the fold out tent.

8. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Teardrop trailer, now that would be nice to haul behind my Jeep since the price of diesel has jumped so high the motorhome we built might just become a monument to what was. Hoyte how old is it, tent foldout sounds like late 50's to early 60's. Save the cut out side pieces maybe catbuilder can use them for patternmaking :)--Geo,

9. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Actually the teardrop part isn't that old, although the undercarraige dates back 40 years, and CB wouldn't want what I took off. Nobody would. :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.