Corky 18'

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ndunning, Feb 9, 2012.

1. ndunning

ndunning New Member

Hey all, so I found these plans:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/12776003/corky-18-ft-sloop-diy-plans

for an 18' sloop v hull yacht from the 1935 version of "20 boats to build".

I was wondering
    a) has anyone built this boat that you know of? No images online appear in searches, only those from the magazine.
    b) does anyone know of any full plans for this boat or the designer's name?

regards,

Nick Dunning

2. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Nick, that is a full set of plans. A rather detailed set, in fact...

3. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Yup...quite comprehensive for the times...there are probably over a hundred different plans like that floating around...pardon the pun. Most probably had less than 5 boats ever built to them so finding info on them is problematical. A decent carpenter with some experience (a boat or two under his/her belt) could build from these plans...subbing materials that are no longer available for those that are. Beware that this boat, built as shown will be 50-70% or more heavier than a modern plywood stitch and tape boat of the same size. It will have all kinds of little corners and pockets for rot to start in...around the frames and stringers, keel and in the canvas decking. I suggest you look for something similar from a modern designer the will probably perform better and pony up the price for the plans and the support that comes with them. You are pretty much on your own with those that you have chosen.

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Years ago, my baby brother Rhod (a mere child in his forties at the time) ordered a set of plans for a multiple-chine kayak, because I told him I'd help build it. When they arrived he called me to *****, because the plans were incomplete. As he put it, "there's only three or four weird effing pages, that don't tell me s***."

When I had a chance to go through the four sheets, I found they included everything needed -- and then some. But I never really convinced Rhod of that, and he never tried to start the build.

5. eyschulman

eyschulman Senior Member

If your joy is putting all the parts together and a long complex build do it. On the other hand if you want a lighter-stronger faster boat that will build faster and last longer costing less do the ply stitch and glue as suggested above.

6. ndunning

ndunning New Member

Do you have any examples of the types of boats you mentioned in the 17'-22' range? I was looking at boats with flat sides, no curved hulls. With a main and jib and a boat that can be sailed fast, not necessarily raced, in the ocean.

Regards,
    Nick Dunning

7. eyschulman

eyschulman Senior Member

Look at Sam Devlin designing boatbuilders site. All ply construction with many plans for home builders.

8. ndunning

ndunning New Member

9. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Well, I personally happen to like boats from Billy Atkin, and from his son John. Matter of fact, I'm in the middle of building a model to the plans of Excelsior (drawn in 1933 by Billy), which I ordered from Pat Atkin last year. And if PAR can't get finished plans for Egress to me fairly soon, I may wind up building a full-sized Excelsior just to stay busy....

But frankly, a lot of Atkin boats were period pieces even at the time they were drawn. If you aren't into nostalgia, and/or aren't willing to translate the old Atkin plans into modern materials and methods, you might be better off looking at stuff by later designers like Phil Bolger.

10. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.