Cooper Seabird motorsailor hull modifications

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by dougseabird, Oct 29, 2004.

1. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Before butchering the keel my suggestion would be to purchase a bunch of telltales (that stick , about 6 inches back from the luff) and install them on every sail.

I would also stick them aft in the sail.

Boats with shallow draft and long low AR keels do not like an over sheeted condition.

You should side slip no more than 5deg on the wind , if its more , look to sailing technique and perhaps the sail recutting for help.

FF

2. Polarisa

Polarisa Junior Member

sounds great i'll be there looking forward to it.

Wil
    SV PolarisA

3. jsh

jsh Junior Member

Seabird 37

The Seabird was designed by Stan Huntingford. This boat will go to weather just fine if you don't pinch.
    I have most of the original design documentation if there are any questions as to the designers set up.
    john

4. Polarisa

Polarisa Junior Member

What do you mean by pinch , also I had some one mention over sheeting can any one elaborate on this.

5. Polarisa

Polarisa Junior Member

What do you mean by pinch , also I had some one mention over sheeting can any one elaborate on this.

6. jsh

jsh Junior Member

pinching quickly described is sailing to high. bear off a little ease sheets build some speed. now your in control.
    john

7. Howcho

Howcho New Member

Alas, I do not own a Seabird 37. I found this forum while searching for the boat my father owned. Dad bought the boat directly from Cooper who I believe at that time was building them in Maple Ridge. (I might be wrong) I think he bought that boat in the very late 70's or early 80's. He named it Cheechako. He sold it after maybe 7-8 yrs. Does any one own this boat now or know where she might be? I am just curious and missing it I suppose. :)

8. turvey

turvey New Member

Hi.
    Im sellimg my 1983 Cooper Seabird Pilothouse.Its the Aft Steering Model with the inside helm.
    Its in great condition and constantly updated and will come with an Outside slip in Vancouvers Coal Harbour for approx $600pm with Hydro.
    $80,000
    For details please contact me at topseyturvey1@yahoo.ca

Thank you

9. dougseabird

dougseabird New Member

Seabird Advice

I own a Cooper Seabird that I have had in Alaska for the past 12 years. I'm coming down to the PNW next summer to get the rig worked on and do some maintenance. I've read through these posts and would like to be in touch with any of you for recommendations on rigging/riggers or any modifications that have improved your boat. This boat has been excellent for cruising in Alaska. I"m 60 and want to keep sailing this boat for the next 10 years at least: I'm contemplating full-batten stacking main, or even a roller-furling main so I can stay off the hard dodger. Any advice? Also, someone mentioned having added a bow thruster. How has that worked out? Any recommendations on a good yard, US or BC?
    Thanks, Doug
    PS Did the rendezvous at Blind Bay happen?

10. SeattleSailor

SeattleSailor Junior Member

Seabird Owners Still About?

Hello all, this is a very old post but there is not much to be found regarding Cooper Seabirds. Just wondering if any of you are still owners and if so, your impressions of the Cooper Seabird thus far.
    Im looking about, perhaps at one of your boats, who knows :) and wanting to know, with the shallow draft and long keel, how she is going to weather and tacking through.
    As well, how she fits (from a cruising perspective, life on board, anchoring, motoring through stiff current, fuel consumption, etc) with regard to motoring through places like the Gulf islands during the summer doldrums.
    Also, how she performs under sail up and down the Georgia strait?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.