Converting Sport boat to a RIB

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by MustangO4, Oct 24, 2011.

1. MustangO4

MustangO4 Junior Member

SO, I have been searching around to see if there is anyone who has successfully done this with as much built at home as possible. I found this thread
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/converting-rib-25460.html
    but it apears to have never been finished.

So, has anyone really done this or have some good resources. I would really like to do home made tubes and everything possible. This is the boat I want to RIB-ify....

I got it in trade for a Rifle I had about $500 wrapped up in and it runs good, so I got a decent deal. I just want to be a bit more comfortable taking it out in the ocean. I live right on the coast, so the sea is where i want to run this, but as is, I feel a bit nervous with it much outside of the harbor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Naturally this would also include an entire new interior. I will just keep the hull and motor basically.

[​IMG]

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Why don't you use a "D" tube which is 1/2 of a full circle or some lessor size if you wish. This can be attached to the outside of your existing side walls and you have no cutting and they can be removed. If left unfilled while trailering they add hardly any width and fill them at the boat ramp. Would give you lots of floatation and could be made to match hull lines W/O much work.
    http://www.henshaw.co.uk/ribs/31-d-shape Taking that boat into the ocean more flotation is needed also cut in a couple of self draining scuppers that can let wave water out fast. I would put a D tube front to rear tapered in the space where you ID numbers are and your decorative design is near the aft end or the boat.

3. MustangO4

MustangO4 Junior Member

I was looking at those. I really want to make this all, including the tubes, so that would add a lot of complexity to the project. Maybe some variation on the theme. You have me pondering.....

Thanks for the input, keep it coming.

For tube design, I was planning on basic, 4-6 Chambers, Cordura tubes, double stitched then coated inside with something like roof coating to make it air/ water tight, valved seperately, then outside with as yet to be determined PVC-ish coating, cemented to the hull and so on.

Here is my initial hack at a powerpoint mock up. Maybe i won't have to mod the interior unless i want to:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

You drew out what I was suggesting. Now calculate how many sq. inches in a tube and divide by 1728 to get cubic feet. salt water floats about 65 pounds per C.F.

5. MustangO4

MustangO4 Junior Member

Thanks. This type off the Hensaw page is kind of what i was thinking of riding on the top edge at the bow and then following that line all the way back. No telling yet.
    http://www.henshaw.co.uk/ribs/30-sectional

6. nbb

nbb Junior Member

did anything ever eventuate from, this idea?

7. MustangO4

MustangO4 Junior Member

Nope, I chickened out....

8. nbb

nbb Junior Member

What was it that made you pull out?

9. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Too bad, your boat would look so cool with those tubes. ;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.