converting an old Star

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by David Harte, Mar 18, 2011.

1. David Harte

David Harte New Member

I have an old Star, what I propose doing is making a rig change and deck change to make the boat more user friendly, where the boat is easy to sail, but yet balanced and semi-pleasing to the eye, with a small forward cabin in which to stow sails, day bag and gear.
    I am thinking of using a Flying Fifteen rig, but not sure of the ideal position to put the rig in order for CE and CLP to have a small lead.
    You may think why do this to a classic, but we already have a star at the sailing school that sails well as a star, I am now looking for a way of changing the second star (that is only a hull) as a training keel boat. Any views would be helpful.

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

David, Sounds like a good idea to me, cos the Star does have a big rig for a sailing school. If the rig off the 15 is cheap enough then go for it. As you already know about CE and CLA etc, then just use the same positions (technically) so the boat is balanced the same, it will work well.

3. David Harte

David Harte New Member

Hi thanks for the info, my concern is that the CLP in the star hull has not changed, but putting in a smaller rig in the same place will move the CE forward giving more lee helm, so I believe I need to move the mast step further aft, but by how much.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Calculate the center of the old rig and the new. If they coincide, it should be fine. If not, move the new center to align with the old. Because the new center will be lower, it will produce less weather helm and should be slightly more aft than the older though.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.