Conversion from trailer-sailer to low power motor boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Dr. Peter, Apr 27, 2010.

1. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I had a 22' O'Day and enjoyed it a lot while the mast was out and just motoring it around.

At the moment there is a 26' sailboat down at the marina that could be had for nothing. It has a weighted fixed keel, maybe 3-4' deep. If that was cut off, the mast and all removed, would that hull be stable for motoring around?

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Fred has a good point, purchase a high torque outboard. Sam, your 26' prospect need to have it's ballast kept in place (or replaced with a similar weight) or she'll float too high and be very "tippy".

3. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

I converted a 16' sailboat to a motor skiff when I sold it to my girlfriend. Originally planned on a short shaft, hence the large well. I realized at the last moment that the tiller would be uncomfortably low; so I switched to a long shaft and added a riser which is also wedged to about 1 in 10. An important factor when selecting your outboard is its charging system. Being able to get 6-10 amps charging may encourage you to oversize a bit. The cutout off to the side is where the old 2hp used to go.

Attached Files:

4. Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter Junior Member

Bimini

It's been awhile since this question was posted - sorry for the tardy reply. I have kept the bimini - it was a generic 3-bow style. I have now moved it from inside the cockpit where it tended to interfere with comfortable lounging and mounted it onto the cabin roof. I shortened the length of the legs quite considerably.

It now shades the hatchway and the front half of the cockpit. Being further forward means I can steer standing up which I like to do. Having re-installed the tiller and rudder means I can sit further forward and get some shade when required.

I still need to fold the bimini away for travel.

Peter

5. PAR

That would now be called a "dodger" Peter.

6. Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter Junior Member

There is no screen. yet!

7. Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter Junior Member

I remember one time being in a 7.7m trailer sailer and the wind was kicking up to 30 knots and the waves were becoming an issue. We decided to go for the motor (a Hp 4 stroke Honda) and all it would do was hold the boat in place. We needed some sail up plus the motor to get going again. The motor seemed mainly ensure the waves did not stop us too much.

Would 15hp instead of 10 made a difference under this scenario do you think?

8. PAR

The sailing rig and furled sails can offer a lot of windage on a sailboat, which wouldn't be the case with your new conversion. A 15 Hp, particularly a high output wouldn't be a bad choice, though you'd be running it at 1/2 throttle all the time and fuel efficiency will drop as a result. On the other hand, you'd have a healthy reserve for those relatively rare occasions you need to really punch through a mess to get home.

9. cathyoz

cathyoz Junior Member

just little point
    no 10 hp , do not apply
    but only boat with a motor over 3 kw ( 4 hp ) need to be registered

10. cathyoz

cathyoz Junior Member

out rigger

i have a 25 fts in my garden
    i was thinking to cut the keel and just put a out rigger ( prao style), to just used it as motor camping home in the river.
    i will put some removable lead if necessary, and water ballast in the bilge , so she will be lighter when traile or move around

11. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Re your cockpit cover.

You get these fiberglass tent ribs that you bend and it forms the tent. You could think along the lines of something like that. If you have two in parallel left to right bent in a bow and with a support in the center from the front to the rear one you can adjust the height of the material from open to closed left and right.

On the front part you can put some see through... plastic for protection against rain. Many tents have these see through 'windows'.

On the motors - the old 2 strokes were smokers (like me), but the new two strokes are a cut above what they used to be. They have quite a bit more torque than the 4 stroke (sorry Jeff), they don't smoke, they comply to required emissions and they run softer too and weigh a lot less. All in all, I'll choose the 2 stroke every time since two strokes almost have no end either. There are the Parson motors and the Toyatsu's I know of and priced not too bad either. I'll take the Toyatsu if it was me.

12. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"Would 15hp instead of 10 made a difference under this scenario do you think?"

Probably not in the least , you need to plane to get to windward in a current faster than the boats hull speed.

Maybe a 50 hp ?

FF

13. cathyoz

cathyoz Junior Member

15 hp is much eavier than a 10 hp even the 8 hp long sharft
    used more fuel , and not always faster as the hull has a maximum speed design , if you go too fast , all the structure of the boat will colapse.

14. Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter Junior Member

New question - tiller extension

Has anyone come up with a decent tiller extension for an outboard motor? I have tried a commercial clamp design but it just isn't strong enough.
    Peter

15. Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter Junior Member

Decision ref motor

I have decided to stick with the 8hp 2stroke dual thrust Yamaha.
    Peter

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.