Control over 60 mph

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Richard Petersen, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Try this. High speed catamarans suffer from bow lift that quickly gets into a blow over. Why has no one made the front 20 or so % of the bow hinged, and controlled by a servo? It would sense and correct in a fraction of a second any excessive bow lift. It could even have a programed in pre-loading at each speed. YA YA boat goes even faster! Thanks a lot, Petersen!! Only trying to better the art of racing?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Ventilated tunnels correct that problem

3. Is that a performance compromise for safety?

4. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

As Gonzo says, vented tunnels, it is not the hydrodynamic lift on the bows (as they're not in the water) it is the pressure distribution under the tunnel. venting the tunnel should increase top speed, thus it is not a compromise.

Tim B.

5. Thanks, Gonzo and Tim. Now both of you know why I am NOT allowed near CAD or CAM programs while they are running. :( Am I allowed to change the word bow, to, -foward tunnel roof ? Would that allow me to stand in the doorway to the design room ? :p

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Hey, it takes two erasers for every pencil. ;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.