Condensation in the cabin

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Dr. Peter, Apr 25, 2011.

1. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Ya -Ya- you've got two of them, :) --Geo.

2. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

No no... I *bought* two of them but have zero of them right now.

Both of them were sold with the boats I sold. One went with my old monohull and one went with my old Catamaran.

Fantastic stoves. A bit pricey, but better than a diesel heater, IMO.

3. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Good, I thought you had two and we had none---:) Now go read your thread and see how we old boatbuilders cut out bulkheads pay my way down and get me a little cod stove and i'll cut out your bulkheads :)---Geo.

4. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Is it feasible to make use of that by arranging an interior surface that is coolest - least well insulated - and having a drip tray underneath?

5. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Most correct.

So, in two words: ventilation & heat.

-Tom

6. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

Catbuilder is right about need to vent under mattress.

Your body gives off an amazing amount of moisture just laying on a mattress, even if you aren't a bedwetter.

I've seen perfectly good hardwood floors destroyed in a month of some college kid laying a mattress on the bare floor.

Also, in construction there is a weird phenomenon where if the fiberglass fluff insulation in the first floor above the vent/crawl space gets wet it can stay wet forever(or until it rots all the joists) because it hits some "sweet spot" where evaporation cools it enough for it to gather a lot of dew, and it also insulates enough to make that all work. These have been known to stay wet for years even in fairly warm and dry South San Jose hills with well vented crawl spaces in droughts lasting over 2 years.

Don't you remember in the classic movie "Mister Roberts" the captain ordering "port side will positively air bedding", etc? I believe this was the routine and required hanging of mattresses up to dry.

You might ask at an RV camper shop about how they do their mattresses in places like the bed over the cab in front.

7. CatBuilder

Yes. This is exactly how an electric dehumidifier works.

8. Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter Junior Member

Looking to Submarine Tom's comment, our last night was our most successful. We opened the front hatch a crack and did the same with the companionway hatch. We also left a citronella candle going in the V berth area. Note we are talking about an 18 and a half foot unlined fibreglass trailer sailer. There was still condensation in the morning but it was much reduced - it wasn't dripping just moist. The night was as cold as any other but it was not raining. We did have a boom tent up.The V berth area where we had the candle was almost dry.
    Peter

9. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Would hammocks be practical in your boat?

10. DianneB

DianneB Junior Member

My aluminium cruiser makes an incredible dehumidifier in the spring when the air is warm and damp but the water is still cold - EVERYTHING metal inside sweats buckets! The first spring, I thought I had a leak in the hull until I followed the trickle of water in the keel forward from the transom and realized that it was the accumulation of hundreds and hundreds of drips running down the inside of the aluminium hull. :(

I don't know if there is a solution but I learned to keep any fabric away from the metal and just let it sweat.

11. CatBuilder

The solution there is expensive Armaflex type insulation like the Dashews put into their aluminum boat, or... get that thing down to the tropics! :cool::D

http://setsail.com/hull-insulation/

12. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Amen to that.. and without insulation (whatever you do with ventilation and heat) there's condensation somewhere..

13. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

14. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

FYI: a candle produces about 20 watts of heat.

-Tom

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

So your saying you should insert a candle.

lattice planking for beds.

Steel and ally boats in the tropics will cook you if its not insulated,

Sprayed on normaly with wood battons inserted at the same time to pick up interior wood finishing.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.