Concept design 16,5 m River Motor Yacht

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by micspoko, Mar 12, 2011.

1. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

This is a concept design river vessel (it is still much to do )

Lenght - 16,5
    Beam - 4,6m
    Draft - 1,3m

It is version with and without flydeck

Attached Files:

• 17.jpg
      17.jpg
      File size:
      89.3 KB
      Views:
    • 18.jpg
      18.jpg
      File size:
      92.2 KB
      Views:
    • 19.jpg
      19.jpg
      File size:
      151.8 KB
      Views:
    • 20.jpg
      20.jpg
      File size:
      101.5 KB
      Views:
    • 16.jpg
      16.jpg
      File size:
      112.4 KB
      Views:
    • 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      96.8 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      148 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      62.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Alik

Alik Senior Member

prop is too small; change stern shape to fit bigger prop

3. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

4. Dean Smith

Dean Smith Previous Member

and have you checked your bridge clearances?

5. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

when the client decided we will talk with him when he want to float and decided to build with or without flybridge - without flybrige high above water is 4m

6. u4ea32

u4ea32 Senior Member

I say this all the time so don't take it personally: there should be an absolute minimum of straight lines and flat surfaces on a boat. You don't get any measurable savings on construction (so no meaningful initial advantage), and the owner will always have a boat that is far less beautiful than possible.

Also, the very wide transom is a bad idea for a vessel that must get onto and off of walls alongside locks, or even for getting on and off docks. The transom must be at least 25% narrower than maximum beam, so its possible to spring the bow off the concrete walls, and to gently maneuver against a concrete wall.

I would also suggest strongly that you include strong raised rub rails, a minimum of 5cm, but 10cm is far better. This allows the boat to crash against the walls of a canal or against pilings without damaging the finish of the topsides.

As Alik mentioned above, you really want the biggest, slowest turning propellor that fits the depth restrictions of the waterways. Often, shallow draft boats are better served with twin propellors due to the restricted propellor diameter due to restricted draft.

Non-planing boats should have a transom that is almost at the surface of the water, so the prop can be bigger, more efficient, and far less drag due to dragging a big flat transom through the water. You should actually make a "S" curve in the aft end, as this causes a local high pressure area (the water moves somewhat with the boat) right where the propellors are, so the propellors are more efficient.

For example, http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/f...ture-feadship-241-x-stream-concept-yacht.html (Although you really don't want a shallow flat bottom aft like on this boat, as that leads to slapping like a beaver tail when anchored, which is very bad for the owner).

Look at container ships for a more 3D shape that puts concave curves forward of the propellor for the same purpose.

Lots of things to like in the design, so please don't take this as damning criticism. The wide side decks, the clear view in all directions from inside, the shape of the bow, the shape of the cabin, ... All good.

7. Dean Smith

it depends IF he wants it for the French canal system 3.6m seems abt right but you can google clearance french canals
    where in Pl are you

8. bernd1972

bernd1972 Holzwurm

Even without the flybridge 4m is quite high for Europe´s inland waterways. You will not be able to go everywhere around Berlin and Brandenburg, you´ll have restrictions in the Netherlands,... I´d guess you loose about 25% of your possible cruising area because of perhaps 40-50cm too much height.

9. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

thx for your advice (for this I am sign up on this forum. I always like read constructive criticism, witch will lead to improvements of my desing and my skills).

When the client decides to this project then we talk with him to the high on water.

If will be need the superstructure can be even lower about 50cm by change a construction of middle cabin

I am living in Poland city: Szczecin
    http://maps.google.pl/maps?hl=pl&bi...code_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCEQ8gEwAA

10. Dean Smith

you had some advice about lines and looks and that was good advice Search power boats in yachtworld.com and search Holland Netherlands, see those stunning boats, well you have to do the same if you wish to succeed and always remember that it is usually as cheap to build a pretty boat as an ugly one
    Things are tough especially in Pl, be careful not to build DOWN to a price and good luck

11. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

All this for looks, while not a hint of the general specification targets or even a peak at the SOR. Seems a backwards approach to me . . .

12. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

next evolution - a couple things is to improve and to add

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      91.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      91.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      108.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      115.7 KB
      Views:
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.