Concept Boat Design Contest

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Tad, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Concept Boat Competition revamped

By IBI Magazine

Cult designer Wayne Hemingway is to front the 2005 Concept Boat Competition, organised by the British Marine Federation with support from the Royal Institute of Naval Architects. Details of the revamped design competition were announced today during a press conference at the Southampton Boat Show.

Entrants to the Concept Boat 2005 competition will be asked to design a boat under the theme 'Boating for all'. The international competition runs annually and has been created to foster an interest in designing boats of the future whilst emphasising the value of innovation and creativity. The competition covers both recreational and commercial craft, and each year has a different theme.

To make the competition more appealing and accessible to all, this year, for the first time, the competition has been divided into three key categories:

* Concept and design - Detailed designs that have moved beyond pure concept into a developed concept
    * Pure Concept - a simple illustration of their concept boat with a brief written summary
    * Schools - for teams of school children to develop their ideas into concepts, as part of the national curriculum

In addition to the traditional emphasis of the competition, which continues in the 'Concept and design' category, the new categories enable entrants to simply convey the concept of their boat through a simple illustration, without the need for supporting technical specifications.

Supported by famous designer, Wayne Hemingway, it is hoped that the 2005 Concept Boat competition will stimulate further interest in forward thinking, innovative boat design.

Hemmingway and his panel of judges will be looking for practical, original designs that create a safe, usable yet stylish vessel of the future. Key design features the judges are looking for include:

* low or moderate cost
    * suitable for group activities
    * a production kit for easy assembly
    * encourage and appeal to youth participation
    * a new boat for sea cadets or similar
    * a new racing concept

James Gower, director of Marketing at the British Marine Federation commented, "It's great to have the renowned designer Wayne Hemingway as part of the judging panel. His experience and style will bring a whole new aspect to the international competition. This year we have three new categories in the competition, and we are already looking forward to receiving entries from school children right the way through to professional designers - there is a category for everyone."

Wayne Hemingway, founder of Red or Dead and judge of Concept Boat 2005 added, "Design isn't about just a pretty makeover, good design results come from improving a product or concept and making it more user friendly, making it perform better as well as making it more attractive...living by the sea and as a boat owner I know that these principles apply just as much to the boating industry as the industries that my company hemingwaydesign operate in."

Shortlisted entrants will have their designs on display at next year's Southampton Boat Show. The winners will have a prototype of their model made and displayed at the Schroders London Boat Show in January, where they will also be awarded their prizes.

(15 September 2004)

©International Boat Industry IBI
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to it, and good luck.

Tad

2. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Any type of power, or just sail?

Gary

3. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Good question Gary.

They have very little (nothing?) up on their site regarding the 2005 contest. But from reading the above, I don't think it says anything about method of propulsion? Soooo.....

I get the feeling they would like you to invent the game, as well as design the boat. I believe it should be a game for a group of people, pick your group.

For instance trans-oceanic pedal boat races, or outboard hydroplanes round some island, submarine races for the masses? A few years back someone suggested a round-the-world powerboat race in 20'ish aluminum powerboats. Predicted Log racing used to be very popular, there used to be a race every year from Seattle to Alaska. Surely there is some group boating activity other than racing?

Take care, Tad

4. yipster

yipster designer

okay, i'll join again this year :D

5. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

So, this is going to be Option 3?!

6. duluthboats

Peter,
    I think this will have to be an individual effort. If we worked on it as a group with all of the pros here we would surely win. ;-)
    Gary

7. yipster

yipster designer

Peter, i should keep my big mouth shut. O2 needs 700 euro for the alu triagle pipes and manchettes. got the legs of that mini swath made and should mount the airelons. contact gareth at fourhulls, make the cockpit, get a 15 hp OB and start trying it out. have to excuse me for putting my last bucks in the daily boat sailing in the sun, but your rite, captain chaos had it coming.

8. duluthboats

LOL!! I missed it the first time.

9. yipster

yipster designer

"propulsion" :D

just wait for trouty to hear this LOL

10. Dutch Peter

Jeezz Yipster,

Didn't mean to get you upset! Was actually wondering if O1 and O2 ever saw daylight, but I guess O2 will, somewhere near Hoorn? Liked to try it out!

11. yipster

yipster designer

Peter,
    aint promising this year but you be more than welcome after launch somewhere near Hoorn and promise not to laugh.
    [​IMG]
    my conceptboat 2003 entree

12. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

May I play too?
    As long as stay away from artificial coffee whitener I'm safe to work with.
    My wife told me that I need to get some friends.
    Whatever that means.

13. Dutch Peter

Thunder,

I'm a succer for real Italian expresso and good Scotch, you're happy with that!?

14. Dutch Peter

Yipster,

Hee!! I'm a lucky guy, it's a two-seater! I can see myself commuting to Amsterdam in that thing! Beats the dam@##$%#$^&^ traffic on the A7 every day!
    You ever tried to have some students build this? Might be a nice project, sponsored by Merc an SP! Idea!!????

15. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

When I drink scotch I pick fights with sailboat people

I had my first expresso down at Pike Street Market in Seattle, and I got so wound up I thought I was having a stroke. Then I burned my tongue. That was the best expresso I've had.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.