Commercialy Made Stich and Glue

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ElGringo, Aug 15, 2014.

1. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

That's nice, what is the beam width? Do you have access to the hull compartments?

2. rustybarge

rustybarge Cheetah 25' Powercat.

This is only a small 7.6mtr boat with a flat deck, so there's no access to the interior of the hulls to make the deck space as large and flat as possible to take lobster pots and fishing nets. The next size up has limited access to the forward hull section where you can fit a head/ bunk.

Here's my model, but stretched version:http://www.cheetahmarine.co.uk/en/news/view/light_weight_construction_keeps_beach_launching_easy/

http://www.cheetahmarine.co.uk/en/

Google images: Cheetah catamarans.

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

El Gringo, so, do you abandon the idea of "commercialy Made Stich and Glue"?

4. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

TANSL, no, I believe there is a market for a lightweight catamaran that looks like a pontoon boat. The problem with pontoon boats is they do not have enough deck to water clearance, they can not handle rough water, and do to the pontoon shape it takes more power than a large truck to move it at any speed. If I could order hulls and deck like I want, I would already have them. And so would a lot of other people.
    I think the pontoon boat companies are missing out on a very large and profitable market. The big selling point would be less power and less fuel with better handling.

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

We agree, the pontoon is good to carry a heavy load in water usually quiet.
    My question was because they were showing examples of boats with very difficult or impossible shapes, for stich & glue technique

6. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

TANSL, yes, I think they were just letting me know that there are some "might work" options available. I am more interested in enough input to figure out how to do it, what the problem areas will be, how to solve them, and then find someone interested in doing it. I'm too old and busted up to even start thinking about building anything.

7. rustybarge

On a smaller scale here's a 16' example of a commercially produced 'nesting' stackable boat; so there is a market out there for this idea...!

http://www.nestawayboats.com/Trio-16-Dayboat(2146322).htm

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

rustybarge, very interesting. Prepare something similar right for stich and glue may not be difficult.

9. Edwardn

Edwardn Junior Member

10. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

Edwardn, I have talked to Jacques about this boat because it is "Almost" what I want. He has told me that he does not want it extended to 28', The deck is only 24" off the water, It will not take rough water, the hulls have a wave interferance from being to close together, the beams are glued in place, it only has one motor and he does not want to re-design it.
    Now if we had the deck from it and the hulls from Richard Woods Skoota 28 we could load it up and head out into the Gulf of Mexico and have a good time.

11. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

OK, we now have about 450 views and not one has seen or heard of someone doing this. I think we could assume there is not. So, is it just a bad idea?, cost to much?, to many problems?

12. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

ElGringo,

if you check out Marine Dock Systems "Moving Craft" you will find modular pontoon hull components where using various configurations get different size vessels. Not stitch & glue though. Similar are available NZ & USA.

http://www.marinedocksystems.com.au/

Jeff.

13. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

I have seen those or some like them. Looks like they would have the same problem as the aluminum pontoon boats, needing more horsepower than a bus.

14. rustybarge

Rowing eights and fours as commonly used to race on rivers can all be dismantled into sections for transporting. The 8 man boats are very long; 50' or there abouts, and come in 3 sections so that they can be slid into multi rack trailers.

Choose a good Cat ply wood design, double up the bulkheads, then cut it into sections between the doubled up bulkheads to make detachable sections; these can be bolted together with oversized bolts and nuts and tightened by hand, and locked with a pin.

Connect the bridge beams to the hulks with ropes like in the wharram designs; the wheelhouse and cabins can be easily made to be detachable, and could also fold up like those collapsible crates you can buy............
    Easy peasy:)

15. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

Rusty, those little row boats are nice on smooth water. I think I would want the hulls about 48" tall so the deck to water would be about 36 to 40".

I have not found any hull designs that would be workable. I'm sure there are some but, I have not found them yet. These need to have outboard motor mounts and maybe built in fuel tanks.

The Wharram designs usually have two large beams and a lot of trampoline. I'm thinking solid deck so kids and dogs don't fall through.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.