Comercial Fishing boat design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Doit123, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

It is also protectionist legislation that locks Canada (BC) out of the Alaska freight business......

2. mark775

mark775 Guest

Yeah, Vancouver would be a natural for Alaska Freight but then it would be twice as big...

3. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Actually the rail-head at Prince Rupert is 600 miles closer than Seattle......

have we drifted this thread far enough yet? :D

4. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Sounds like a wise decision to me, now if they would have included the materials as well as the labour maybe there still would be a triving steel industry. Mark. not familiar with Brunos and Sisus let me have a search and see if i reconize them. where are you located, Is Homer a place?Geo.

5. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Ok Mark , exactly the style, the Bruno has a Northumberland bow developed by the Acadian fishermen in New Brunswick to cope with steep breaking seas, they actually take the flared bow to an extreme. The older style sisus is identical to what we call a Novi. It would be logical that the Maine boys and the south shore Nova Scotian boys would develop this style as most of them are actually cousins and in the past visited each other often for family outings. I agree with TAD it is a form of protectionism, you would think by now we colonials would have become more united. Oh well i guess we can't complain at least we make money in supplying the energy to build them.(Canada now #1 supplier of oil to the U.S.)(smiley face) Geo.

6. mark775

mark775 Guest

More similar than different, to be sure. Okay, I have been on both and they are good at what they do (Though the Bruno had a problem - something to do with Airex core and inner and outer hulls working independently. Nothing to do with hull shape). That Bruno, I'm gonna say it was about 42', held an amazing amount of herring. I would think something like that would be a good trap boat. Does somebody make something like that with a 16' beam for this gentleman?

7. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

The original poster should google up some West Australian crayfish boats, mostly aluminium hard chine designs there, and have to operate in rough water a lot of the time.

8. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Isn't the old reliable Maine "Jonesport Boat" what is needed here? This is a pic of one I found dying up a creek in SE Alaska a couple years ago. These were developed to haul lobster pots down east and are very well adapted. This is an older example, the new boats are f/g, wider and have more power.

Attached Files:

9. mark775

mark775 Guest

Thats' in SE? Amazing, looks just like here. Oh yeah, Geo - Homer, Alaska, South Central Alaska.

10. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

, with 500-1000Hp speeds over 20 knots are common, more speed equals more traps per day..

500 hp is at least 25 GPH, 1000 will be at least 50GPH maybe 60!.

With diesel going up and lobsters going no where , one would need a LOT of lobsters to get even.

FF

11. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Battan, same hull style, excellent sea boats, and likewise make a good yacht. I always compare hulls, sailboats, powerboats, to their fishing boat ancestors, speed has never been important to me, always the seaworthyness,performance factor with seaworthyness playing the bigger role.
    Mark, Homer yes, Homer ,Alaska, it was the non capital H that was throwing me off,In my Newfoundland anchient Irish/English dialect, we refer to homers a people who never come out of their house or leave their village, "real homers da are by.(da(they)(by)(boy)
    My Uncle,Harold Pike, was a buldozer operator on the origional construction of the Alaska highway. Was easy for him being at that time from the Country of Newfoundland to get a job as there was sort of a free trade/easy work visa's between Newfoundland and the U.S., after all Newfoundland was the origional New England Colony.
    Fast Fred, most popular origional motors were 232 6 cyl, chevys and many of the smaller Novi's and converted to yachts still use them. Geo.

A yacht is not defined by the vessel but by the care and love of her owner.

12. wardd

wardd Senior Member

unlike fg, wooden boats decay with class

13. Doit123

Doit123 New Member

Novi type boats are the type that we used over hear but I am looking for simmilar design in aluminum or steel.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.