Columbian cocaine semi-submersables.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Squidly-Diddly, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Impressive. They have sent 30 tons of cocaine to the ocean bottom without thinking twice, must be a loss comparable to few crumbs for them.

I think it's time we start demanding a hefty fee for each technical advice given to submarine builders on this forum. :D

3. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I'd tow a cargo pod, then release it once close to shore,

and it would have a timer(weeks, days, hours) after which it would deploy a buoy with a intermittent un-suspicious radio beacon(like a couple of guys talking sports on a civilian band radio).

Then you retrieve the goods from a regular boat launched from target nation's coast.

This was done during Prohibition with salt weights that dissolved in a few days or hours.

I'd have fins and wings on the pod so if it was released with Coast Guard 'on me' it would glide underwater to some semi-random final resting place a good distance away, silently.

Without TOO much extra expense you could have the scuttled pod deploy a TEMPORARY lifting buoy some time between its release and its retrieval time to re-re-locate it(bring it 1/2 way to surface and let it go on another glide)....in case the Coast Guard actually tracked its release and location with Active Sonar and was on their way to retrieve it....but probably wouldn't be actively pinging the whole time the retrieval rig was en route.

Like space-flight, taking the humans out of the equation makes the vessel's design a lot simpler and cheaper.

4. jonr

jonr Senior Member

Let's see - drugs might fund terrorism and discussion of submarines might help smuggle drugs. Consequently, anyone in these forums is a terrorist and can be killed by a drone without any due process. Or locked up in a torture prison.

Towed torpedo style cargo-pods with transmitters are already being done (according to Wikipedia). The Coast Guard needs to respond by using subs themselves - come up underneath and grab that cable.

Hold on, I hear some commotion at the door.....

5. daiquiri

I think that you have successfully pinpointed the only problem those guys don't have. :D

6. daiquiri

False allarm, don't worry. It's just a pizza delivery...

[​IMG]

7. uncookedlentil

uncookedlentil Junior Member

i wonder if they would be interested in a ''greener'' approach to their submarines, utilizing bamboo, waterproofed canvas, and biodiesel?:D

8. daiquiri

I believe that they indeed might be interested into green technologies, as drugsmugglers are notoriously very sensitive to problematics related to Human condition, environmental pollution and similar.

Hence, I believe we should promote these technologies with more force through the submarine section of this forum.

9. jonr

jonr Senior Member

10. daiquiri

11. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Squidly-Did,

You're soooooo clever!

-Tom

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.