cnc boat shop (Bay Tiger)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rmtierce, Feb 8, 2014.

1. rmtierce

rmtierce Junior Member

All thats on there is the length 24' and width across the back 102"

2. rmtierce

rmtierce Junior Member

The lenght 24' and 102" wide across back

3. welder guy

welder guy Junior Member

I looked at info and will ask my brother to take a look to see if his comp. program can figure out something. frm a fabrication stand point it dos'nt look to complicated.What I would be concerned about is the weight and the monster motor to move it.

4. rmtierce

rmtierce Junior Member

I believe it cud b shrunk up if u wanted it to be. I also may have plans for an 18 or 20' flat bottom im trying to put together if ur intrested

5. welder guy

welder guy Junior Member

Yes,i would like to take a look at it.New to this forum thing,so not exactly sure how exchange of info is done. I am trying to locate a builder that did a boat for a friend of mine some years back.My friend says the guy will cut and form the hull and the rest is up to you.I own a fab. shop but we are not in the boat building business,as that is a crowded market here.I know of atleast five guys doing this part time in a shed in the back yard but I do not care for any of their designs. Scully's and Hanks are the two "big boys in Louisiana,but I don't care for those either,but we have done many repairs to them.Alot of our customers have them and they really get abused sometimes.Please advise on info exchange.

6. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for, but for a boat for myself, I believe I could easily scale off of drawings like this and end up with a very reasonable facsimile. This one has a definite dimension to work from, the beam of 101.862", and it seems like it could be transferred to the other drawings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other drawings and renderings that are at that site would help with positioning of the forward bulkhead, etc.

I am talking of manual scaling with a ruler and pencil, but this program sounds like it could do the job of converting the images to cnc files...

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/...cs/Misc__Graphics_Tools/SE_CNC_Converter.html

as could TANSL from post #7.

The hull shape itself is a very simple one and with a little trial and error fitting all the internals shouldn't be too hard. Of course it would take more time to do it manually than with cutting files.

I am curious if automated cutting can be set up to follow a line drawn on material, as opposed to following a computer program. Can a person draw any shape and an automated cutter will follow the line and cut it?

Also, what would do the actual cutting on something like this boat, high pressure water or a flame of some sort?

7. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Formerly parts were drawn at 1/10 scale and a cutting torch with a photocell and a pantograph, cut the silhouette of the piece.
    Modern machines read a drawing as a dwg file in AutoCAD format, and cut what you want. Do not need a third party cnc converter.
    Cuts can only be straight lines or curves of radius less than 35000 mm. So a parable, for example, must be broken down into sections of circles.
    I do not know if aluminum can be cut with water jet but I have seen cutting and engraving marble with waterjet. The best thing for aluminum cutting is using plasma, with the plates immersed in water. It prevents burn the material and the deformation of the cut pieces is minimal .

8. welder guy

welder guy Junior Member

Aluminum can be cut with waterjet,but the most popular and cost effective is plasma.Another method that seems to be getting popular is the use of routers adapted to the heads of cnc cutting tables.No high voltage or compressed air needed and no heat to cause distortion.I have heard the bits can get pricey but the WJ is expensive to run also.

9. Brolga

Brolga New Member

What sort of size are you wanting? I've built a simple 4.5m punt and i think I have the cnc files somewhere in my HD
    brolga

10. welder guy

welder guy Junior Member

I'm thinking a design in the 20' range which would be a little over 6 meters.

11. cadcam7

cadcam7 Joseph Sr. Boat Designs

Bay Tiger

Hi to all. I'm the guy who designed the Bay Tiger.
    ( and the other 30 something boats) that we had on cncboatshop.com.

I did not want to get into the details, but my Son went into a coma, and nearly died. It is impossible to describe how difficult it is to watch your Son dying,
    and so we shut everything down, because I just couldn't think straight. I hope you understand.

It's been a long battle, but Thankfully, he has made a full recovery. Here Andrew is in the back yard by the lake with his little brother, doing great!

[​IMG]

As for the Bay Tiger, and our other CNC Boat Plans, we will be offering the design & cut files again, in limited quantities, so that we can offer good support.

Here are a few shots of the Bay Tiger...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We'll be working on the website over the next few weeks, I'll try to login and keep you guys posted. Hope everyone is healthy and enjoying the summer...
    JD

12. welder guy

welder guy Junior Member

cadcam7, That has to be the hardest thing in the world for a man to go through,i am so happy to hear he recovered.He looks to be a happy and healthy lil guy now.
    I found a smaller boat than the tiger and am working on it now, I do have a friend of mine that saw the tiger on the forum and he said he may be interested in having me build him one. I will check the forum from time to time and also look for the web site to come back up.

13. cadcam7

cadcam7 Joseph Sr. Boat Designs

Yes he's doing great, and having fun. Thank you :)

14. rmtierce

rmtierce Junior Member

Im glad to hear everything is ok. Im also glad to hear your opening back up for bbusiness its good to know theres people around you can talk to about this stuff and they know what their talking bout. Please keep us posted on the website progress. Thanks for replying to the post. We ll keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.