Classic Tender / Dingy Design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by allan white, Jun 1, 2008.

1. allan white

allan white Junior Member

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a classic tender design in the 8 1/2 foot range. Herrshoff, Lawley etc. I would truly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Allan

2. Grant Nelson

Grant Nelson Senior Member

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Pick up a copy of "Building Classic Small Craft" (vol. 1 & 2) by John Gardner. Given the choice I think the Lawley tows astern better.

4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Grumman Aluminum sailing dink, lighter and far tougher than wood or GRP , aboyt 80 lbs in 8 1/2 ft .

Sails great , mast and gear fit inboard, dual oarlock sets so two can row in a heavy slop.

FF

5. bntii

bntii Senior Member

take a look at the Lawton tender

In Gardners book as well.

I have been building one for the last 8 years or so..... beautiful hull, a permanent fixture in my dining room.. hangs from the ceiling. I really kick myself- I tossed out the form and strongback after taking such paint to loft the plans and transpose the whole bit to 1' stations.
    A bit longer than you cited but the length makes for a more honest hull for rowing.

6. allan white

allan white Junior Member

Hello bntii,

I have a client that would like me to build him a classic tender using my new infusion patent. I haven't been able to find any decent photos of the Lawley. Do you have any of yours by chance?

Allan White

7. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Hello Allan,

I am building the Lawton tender- not the Lawley. Seems the two designs were going head to head at the time they were built. Interesting story as recounted by Gardner in his book. I have been building for so long it escapes me why I chose the Lawton, but I believe it had something to do with this design being the superior craft in the short- 10' length when compared to the Lawley. The second link has a page scanned from Gardner's book which has the table of offsets and lines.

Pics of the Lawton as picked up on the net:

http://www.newfound.com/images/rowboats/lawtontender.jpg
    [​IMG]

http://www.northbayboatworks.com/BoatsDelivered/Tevere/Tevere.html
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Greenseas2

Greenseas2 Senior Member

Selway Fisher Dinghies

Take a look at the Selway Fisher Red Shank dinghy. They have a really nice appearance and go together relatively fast. Additionally they are light enough to lift aboard with ease.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.