Charter/Private Use - Layout Differences

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by alexandros, May 9, 2008.

1. alexandros

alexandros Junior Member

I am in the process of designing a 65ft yacht as part of my graduation project. Right now i'm working on the floor plans and as the boat could be used either for private or charter use, i am wondering if there is a difference in general between the layouts of the private/charter yachts. I guess for a charter yacht a cabin with 2-3 single beds is necesssary for the crew but other than this i got no idea what should be the needs for the passengers of each kind of boat. From your experience do you have any ideas?

[​IMG]

The layout above is an attempt to do the layout for private use yacht. As you can see i have placed the beds vertical to teh longitudinal axis of the boat and not parallel (as usually placed). Do you beleive that this arrangement of the beds will be less comfortable for the passengers due to the boat's oscillation (<- do not know if this is the right term though).?

Thank you in advance for any info you can provide.

2. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Alexandros,

With a charter yacht you must think about two separate groups, the passengers and the crew. The crew just wants to do their work without bumping into passengers all the time. The galley and crew lounging/sleeping must be separate from the passenger sleeping/lounging areas. Separate access for each group from the main deck to each area of the vessel is a priority. The crew doesn’t want to go through the passenger lounge to get to their bunks.

Beds on boats are called bunks ;)

3. alexandros

alexandros Junior Member

Tad,

Thank you for the information! But also for enriching my boat/yacht related lingo ;) .
    Have you (or someone else) also noticed any other kind of demands on behalf of owners or charter-yacht passengers in terms of space arrangement or the kind of spaces needed? For example in a charter yacht, do they ask for 2-single-bunks or double bunks? Or, in charter yachts, would they prefer more bunks and less common spaces?

By the way,another question, regarding the sails of the boat:

[​IMG]

the far front sail (genoa or jib) is it possible to be placed in a hight of approx. 1.60m from the deck? (pls see the pic as a reference). The thing is that i am thinking of a long and rather high deck cabin and as you can see from my sketch the cabin is quite high close to the bow area. Do you think that this kind of arrangement can work?

thanx again!

4. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Alexandros,

A common and versatile arrangement in charter vessels is to have a double and a single (folding or dual -use as couch) berth in each cabin. Thus it can be used by a couple, two single folks, or a couple with child.

Your house/deck/rig arrangement can certainly work, but it must be viewed in relation to your overall concept. For example, if you are producing a high-performance vessel hoping to attract skilled sailors with thrilling rides under sail, this may not be the best arrangement. For those clients interested in comfort and perhaps motor-sailing to arrive at the next scheduled stop in time for dinner, this is fine.

5. alexandros

alexandros Junior Member

Tad, thank you once again for your time to reply to my questions.

Yes indeed, the character of the boat will be the one of a cruiser, motorsailer and not the a hardcore sailboat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.