Chappelle's "Boatbuilding Editions"

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by gdminch, Mar 31, 2008.

1. gdminch

gdminch New Member

I am about to purchase Chappelle's: "Boat Building: A Complete Handbook of Wooden Boat Construction" for my son who is an apprentice Shipwright. I notice that two editions exist; one July 1994 the other October 1994. The earlier version is about half the price of the more recent one. Is there much difference? Would the earlier version suffice?
    Thanks

Gary.

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Great to hear of a new Shippy, sorry but I have th old one, know nothing about a cheaper version, looking forward to hearing from someone else on this one.

3. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

The original was published in 194-? and the author died in the mid 70's so would not have been in a position to update the book.The earlier version should be entirely adequate.Good to discover that there is a young man focusing on learning the trade.

4. Michael Chudy

Michael Chudy Yacht Designer

"Boatbuilding" was originally published in 1941. It's possible that the later '94 edition is the one with Jon Wilson's Foreword. My '94 edition does not list the month. Buy either.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.