Change My Skeg?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mcody2005, Nov 5, 2006.

1. mcody2005

mcody2005 New Member

Hey there everyone. I'm new to this forum and fairly new to boat building, so please excuse me if i dont use the right lingo or ask a really basic question that may seem very obvious to the rest of you. Here's my question - the boat im currently building was designed as a sailing dingy. I omitted the daggerboard from the design, but still installed the proper skeg as called for in the plans. I will be using an outboard for propulsion, and the idea that this type of skeg might not be ideal in the layout im using. the current skeg is 3/4 inch wide and 3" tall under the transom. It tapers away to meet the bottom of the v hull about midship. It seems to me that this would work fine when planing out and going straight, but I think there is a better design out there that would help the boat handle. Since the boat is not finnished i dont know for sure. maybee a skeg that is much wider and not quite as tall would be better. or how about no skeg at all. What do you people think?
    here is some reference info:
    loa 12',beam 4'6" , V hull, stitch & glue construction
    Thanks Eveyone

2. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Don't think that little skeg will slow you down much, but the boat might become sketchy at speed. Given it's a small piece of wood on a small boat, trying it both ways should be relatively easy.

Yoke.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.