catamaran houseboat build

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by samuraiweasel, Aug 25, 2008.

1. samuraiweasel

samuraiweasel New Member

2. Morro

Morro Junior Member

Most 25' home built houseboats do not look (or sail) "like the Nautitech 40".

I think you need to be more specific if you are to get any help from the experts here.

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

yes, i agree, why would you want to build hulls like the nautitech for a houseboat? Such high performance shapes are just not required or worth the expense.

or is the question "Why cant I have a houseboat with two hulls", which is a totally different take, and the answer is "No reason at all- lots of people have and they are discussed in depth all through the design forums"

4. samuraiweasel

samuraiweasel New Member

im basically living 30 feet from a river and the current gets pretty strong in the middle i tihnk about 5-10 knots so the shape would matter

and it looks better

btw i have absolutely no idea about how to go about this my only experience i have is of making a couple of kayaks in fiber and 2 canoes 1 fiber 1 wood

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

So as I figured, its just a question of two hulls, not necesserally built like and ocean going catamaran.

The cat hulls would lend themselves to coping with strong currents. You may also need to have the ends shaped to handle floating branches and other rubbish that often accompany fast water.

The answer to the cost question is between $10,000 and $40,0000 depending ...

6. samuraiweasel

samuraiweasel New Member

no maybe houseboat was the wrong word also

i was looking at something more like the seawind 24' with a middle cockpit modification

basically not something that you are going to live in but that you can stay in for some time like a weeks trip on the river

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Its called a catanmaran, and there are a million different designs.

You are going to have to provide more information to get any usefull advice.

Like - why wouldnt you buy a seawind 24' ?

8. Workdad64

Workdad64 New Member

Delta Star 30' trailerable houseboat

I'm a newbie to this forum so not sure if in the right area but I'm looking for help in figuring out the best look for the upper cabin portion of the boat. I have 3 pictures...one with the S looking design that looks more like something on a RV than a boat. Number 2 is another Delta Star that the owner painted between the windows a dark color that overall I like but don't want the black color in Florida. I was thinking of doing similar but in Turquoise ( matches the pinstripes and interior trim) or something else? Obviously the 3rd picture is with the S decal removed.
    Looking for creative ideas or who or where to go to get advice.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

9. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

what type of door is on the front?

10. Workdad64

Workdad64 New Member

Delta Star front door

The front door is a glass slider.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.