Catamaran Design - estimating speed from weight, rpm and thrust

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by springer, Nov 2, 2005.

1. springer

springer New Member

Hi everyone

I am new to this forum and hoping to get some help.

I am in the process of designing an unmanned catamaran. The hull is almost complete and thrusters are going to be installed soon.

I want to do some tests on the thrusters before their installation to calculate the thrust produced at a given rpm. This will be carried out on a stationary paltform.

Suppose I have the the thrust and rpm information together with the vessel weight, is there anyway I can estimate the speed of the catamaran in the water? Are there any other parameters need to be identified?

Does anyone know anything about the bollard condition?

Thanks

2. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

You will be testing in the bollard condition, that is defined as zero speed (tied to a bollard). The thrust will generally fall off with speed. The resistance will increase depending on hull shape, weight, separation, etc.

Estimating resistance accurately is not a trivial problem, and there are many approaches that you will find referred to in strings here.

The speed at which thrust equals resitance, accounting for propeller / hull interaction effects, is the speed.

3. h_zwakenberg

h_zwakenberg HullDrag/32 programmer

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.