Carolina Flare on a Planing Hull

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by blacklab, Jan 14, 2009.

?

Is carolina flare a useful design element in a high-speed planing hull?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. blacklab

blacklab Junior Member

Gents,

Got into a internet discussion/argument on the necessity of "Carolina" flare on center console boats betwee, say 25' and 38'.

I don't type as well as I should so I'll post a link to the discussion rather than try to completely re-enact:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=188650&start=81

The link goes to the 5th page of the thread where the discussion started - it continues on the 6th page.

Bunch of awfully smart people here with a wealth of boat design knowledge - I'd appreciate any input!

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

3. dockdave

dockdave Junior Member

Yes, because sex sells

4. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

It certainly looks sexy but what the flare does, besides directing spray 396 feet off to each side, is provide a huge amount of reserve bouyancy. So much so that the increased accelerations, particularly when driving into a head sea, will almost certainly be really uncomfortable for anyone in the boat. OTOH, it does help keep from stuffing the bow and submarining so it's not all bad, Also helps give a bit more deck space but increases weight while doing so.

tradeoffs, right?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.