Carolina Flare

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Troutcatcher, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Troutcatcher

Troutcatcher Junior Member

I am looking for CAD files or drawings of a typical Carolina Sportfisher style boat featuring the beautiful Carolina Flare. The idea is to use the design as a starting point and modify it rather radically to suit my own needs.

Does anyone know where the CAD files for such a design can be obtained???

Thanks in advance,

Troutcatcher
    Reykjavik
    Iceland

2. CET

CET Senior Member

You'll lilely have to do what the rest of us have and PAY for them. ;)

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I don't think there is a typical boat. I have built several and each builder has his own style.

4. Troutcatcher

Thank you CET,

On who´s door do you suggest I should knock and ask for these CAD files/drawings and what prices can I expect:?:

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Do they have to be CAD?

6. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

If you are intending to have your boat in service year round in Iceland and it is not a very large boat, I would suggest you reconsider having so much flare. Any accumulation of ice or snow could be the cause of very alarming instability.

7. Troutcatcher

No it doesn´t neccesarily have to be in digital format. I could also scan to CAD the traditional drawings.

However, the plan is to modify rather radically this hull design and having the opportunity to bypass the scanning process would be quite nice.

Any suggestions on where to obtain these files????

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I can provide you with some drawings. The most important thing are some rules to make the shapes work. I won't have time for any new project until the end of January. Would that work for you?

9. trouty

trouty Guest

One of

the nicest caaaarliiiinnaaa flared hulls I've seen - was from the gallery right here on Boatdesign.net.

HECK - WHAT WAS IT CAKKED AGAIN?....NORDHAVEN OR SOMETHING?...darn capslock key - typing on a laptop is no fun for those of us wht phat phingers syndrome...:rolleyes:

Anyway - it's in the gallery - look hard enough and you'll find it - seem to remember the designer was a good sorta bloke too...pretty approachable type.

Merrit....Hunt...oh yeah - don't overlook the new maritomo designs either..

Seek and you'll find, knock & the door will be opened.

Cheers!

10. Troutcatcher

Thanks Gonzo,

If you can provide some drawings it would be nice. Please, contact my personal email and quote prices. P.S. I am in no hurry.....so take your time.

Best regards,

Troutcatcer

11. buckknekkid

buckknekkid Senior Member

I thought I would revive this

we are about to sell our sportfisher and Im looking to build a new one in the mid 40 foot range. Anything out there?

12. mmd

mmd Senior Member

buckknekkid, are you planning to build it yourself, or are you looking for a builder? If the latter, how about this 45-footer? She is a proven hull form based on the Northumberland Strait commercial fishing boat form, round bilged so she has a more comfortable motion in a seaway than a hard-chine hull, does about twenty-five knots with twin 350's, and several of the commercial boats are doing well in your area (one in the Keys, two in South Carolina, and two in south New Jersey). I think that you will find the prices up here in Eastern Canada pretty competitive.

[​IMG]

13. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Most of the "Carolina flare" sportsfisherman boats done here in NC are nearly custom jobs since each owner usually wants something a bit different. Some looked at fiberglass molds but stopped because they could not amortize the molds with only a couple boats before changes were demanded. Most now use laminated ply/epoxy/glass with a few being stripped. A local designer friend has done these from 20' to over 60' and all are in CAD, including patterns for NC cutting of frames. etc. Don't know if the files are available or not.

Unlike the one MMD shows, most local Carolina boats have a lot of aft tumblehome with the tumblehome continuing forward past the cockpit with a "belt" dividing it from the flare until it disappears further forward. The flare also looks more extreme than Michael shows. I actually like Michaels look better but it is not really the "Carolina" style. Some builders are now retreating from the extreme bow flare a bit. From the flybridge the bow deck often looks almost like a rectangle. I have stood under one in the yard in the rain to keep dry.

14. buckknekkid

buckknekkid Senior Member

Sorry guys I was working on the boat.

Im going to commission a hull and rig it myself. (Boat #12 in a list) Once we see the design in a little more in depth detail I'll fly out to meet the glass shop guys and cut a deal. the old 36 is going soon so I'll have some room for the new boat. Buckk

15. mulletbucket

mulletbucket Junior Member

Are you still looking for a design. I've just opened my own shop after paying my dues on Harkers Is. I have numbers or can get them for anything up to 65 ft.

Bryan
    Whiskey Creek Boatworks
    910 619 4027

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.