Carolina dory or Redwing 26 boxkeel

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Gavin Enever, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Gavin Enever

Gavin Enever New Member

This is all totally new to me this kind of boating. I live on a remote island in the Gulf of Carpenteria in Australia, so getting any info is extremly dificult. Here it is all fast planning hulls nothing does less than 20kts but I am tired of being bashed about in planning hulls.

What I am really looking for is a boat that I can build using plate Aluminium that is why I have been looking at the ply wood designs. Something around the 27ft mark, 7 to 8kt cruise would be fine and something that has good sea keeping ability that has a reasonably shallow draft of around 1 1/2ft, between 400mm to 600mm.
    Lastly I would like to power this with nothing more than a 50hp diesel inboard.
    So far the only things I have found have been a 27ft Carolina Dory or a 26ft Redwing with a box keel.
    Would appreciate any ideas or sugestions.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

G'day Gavin, an economical displacement hull would work well trolling for mackerel etc, provided your preferred grounds aren't too far out. Bear in mind that anything in plate alloy needs to be fully developable surfaces, so ply designs that use double diagonal planking to get a hollow flare at the bow are out.

3. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

Gavin, I see you made your way here from the "Dory" site.
    There a couple things you can do to generate more responses.
    Spend a few days exploring the site, look for threads that are related to your intrests and study them. Use this forum's search feature to direct further exploration.
    This will help you to ask more pointed questions which may attract more attention from other members.
    Sell your post, make it sound interesting with an attention getting title.
    There are answers here, keep trying.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.