Car topper for a woman?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kroberts, Jun 15, 2010.

1. science abuse

science abuse Junior Member

I car-top the ever-living hell out of a 16ft long boat that I can't lift alone, and it's really easy, all you need is technique.... and the ability ot lift half the weight of the boat over your head.

Oversimplified:
    First you need a roof-rack, I got a cheap one from ebay, an Aussie company called rolla. You drag the boat up tot he stern of the vehicle, pick up the bow over your head, and slowly drag the boat forward until you can rest the bow on the roof rack. Once it's there, walk 'round the stern of the boat, lift it over your head, and push the boat forwad on to the roof-rack.

Considerations:
    -Boat finish protection. For this, I have a couple of boatd bolted to the roof rack, the boat slides over them without scratching anything.
    -Protecting the stern while dragging it. You might be tempted to use a kayak dolly, but you'd be hurting. When you set the bow on the roofrack, it wont stay there, as the dolly will roll backwards. Instead, use a plastic furniture slide, the kind used to move refrigerators and such around while moving.... or you could limit car-topping to grass lots.
    -Extra creative: make a carpet-covered cradle that fits the shap of the hull. She would place the bow on the rear of the car, then walk around front and upll the boat ontot he roof with the bowline... or a mechanical winch on the front bumper, whatever. :)

Option 2: Giving up.
    I do tend to agree with the "shouldn't have a boat she can't handle" argument.
    If the 150lb boat is too much for her, sell it and have her get a boat with a 65lb hull: The Snark. I have one, I don't even drive to the launch anymore. I just park and wear the damn thing like a back-pack. It's not fast, but there is absolutely no easier way to get on the water and under sail. Period. :)

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I wouldn't be frustrated. I think you got a real valuable lesson on how to get along with your friend. You learned a little on how to steer future situations, on how to make them go this way or that way.

3. kroberts

kroberts Senior Member

Funny thing is, we're at opposite ends of the scale.

She took a sailing course at Northwestern University, several years in fact because it's the cheapest way to rent a boat in the Chicago area. They have 420'ers, Lasers and some sort of catamaran. So she learned those and thinks that since she was trained to use those, she can't drive anything else.

So she bought a Laser and I doubt she will listen to any other options.

For awhile, her idea of "handling the boat" was to have me do it. During the course of this thread, I basically let her know that's no longer an option, since she won't listen to any of my ideas on making it easier.

Whatever. I'm not going to try to live her life for her.

If it were me, I'd put a roof rack on my car and do the flip-over-the-back plan like the rear load electric doodad, only the boat we're talking about isn't heavy enough to justify an electric motor or even cables to anything except the back corners.

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciated it, even if she doesn't.

4. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

The first image shows my "wheelbarrow conversion" modelled by a local miscreant performing public service for an undisclosed misdemeanor. It has a cheap pneumatic wheel on a short board that fits the trunk. The fat low-pressure tire runs easily over the soft sand on my local beach. The handles are the oars.

The second image is an early test when I was looking for van topping problems. I now have a wood frame that goes under the transom instead of the cardboard, to protect it and provide space for my fingers, I use a rug to protect the van's finish, and I fasten a pair of 2 x 4's across the roof rack to provide a soft, smooth surface to slide the boat forward.

This boat only weights 60 lb but it is also very short, only 10 ft. It would be easier if it were a bit longer as it would balance better when transitioning from the position shown to horizontal on top of the van. A reasonably fit woman would have no trouble at all with this boat and car-topping arrangement.

Attached Files:

5. kroberts

kroberts Senior Member

Is that wheel attached to the boat permanently?!?

Looks similar to what I would be trying in this situation, but as I said it's no longer my problem.

6. ancient kayaker

No. It replaces the daggerboard for dry land travelling! I remove it before I put the boat in the roofrack.

7. kroberts

kroberts Senior Member

That's really a spiffy idea.

8. apex1

apex1 Guest

.... you are overweight Terry...

sorry could not resist.

Richard

9. ancient kayaker

This means war ...

10. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I like use of oars as Boat-Borrow handles & Wheel-in-Well

I'm nuts for any idea that makes dual-use of a feature.

Once I saw a pic of Klepper type two man fabric kayak sailing rig that seemed to use dis-joined paddles as side-boards.

To me, the addition of both a sail AND side boards on a two man kayak is just too much extra gear on too small a boat. Too much extra gear to have on board if you are only going to use it part time.

11. ancient kayaker

I'll have to remember that one, as I often sail my kayak.

12. HakimKlunker

HakimKlunker Andreas der Juengere

3 Options:
    - Change the boat
    - Change the car
    - Change the Lady
    :p

13. science abuse

science abuse Junior Member

I think what this thread now needs is a picture of what a tiny Laser looks like taking up a whole slip. Similar to a bicycle in a parking space?

14. kroberts

kroberts Senior Member

No, it's not a regular slip. It's a shelf in a building by a slip, you store your boat and dolly there for a fee.

15. freeboatrsrce

freeboatrsrce Junior Member

Extension Mirrors to see your trailer.

When pulling an oversized load on a flatbed truck we clamp about 2 foot extension mirrors on each mirror on both sides of the tractor. Then you can see your trailer. You can likely get away with less than 2 foot extenders, just buy the adjustable type at a truck stop.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.