A cape Horn vessel

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by evantica, Apr 16, 2010.

1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

It no longer matters. I acknowledged my limitations. I thought it might be pertinent to this discussion; but I have been wrong before, and will be again. That is the nature of not being room-temperature.

2. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

I know a couple who tried sheet styrofoam, a horrendous amount of work. They gave up halfway and called in a spray foamer for the rest. The spray foamer was done in an hour or two, and cost less than it would have to sheet styrofoam the rest. The said sheet styrofoaming was a complete waste of time and money, and wished they hadn't bothered.

3. dskira

dskira Previous Member

This is always the problem with boat ancillaries, every body as an different experiences, some good some not so good.
    It doesn't mean than person is wrong or right, and doesn't mean that one experience must be the rule.
    We have to accept the large spectrum of difference between concepts in boat ancillaries.
    An open mind is really necessary to go ahead and nobody wrong nobody right.
    Everybody is an expert until a new product come along. And the expert go back to the status of apprentice.

Is that is not understood, we just waste our time discussing in the forum, inset of sharing some goodies, which will make our life happier in boat.

Daniel

4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The said sheet styrofoaming was a complete waste of time and money, and wished they hadn't bothered.

Many styles of styrofoam , house insulating "blue boars" will never absorb a drop of water.

Lots of spray foams absorb water like a sponge and loose all insulating value.

I would be really careful to contact the foam mfg before using it.

Almost all is very flamible , and must be covered to never see heat or flame .

FF

5. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I had very good result with a wood celing fixed to the L frames, each one having a wood clamp. Since the L shape frames were very close spaced the ceiling was extermely solid. It was a close seiling, no gap between the palnks and very thick.
    Open et the top and stopping at the top of the floor, we find no problemes after many years of heavy utilisation.
    It give a very nice touch inside, smell good and it's easy to fix what you fancy want.
    I will never do differently.
    Right know I have a steel cutter in construction in England, and the owner is doing just that. It is by the way a method the English use very often. I saw some with tongue and groove as a ceiling, quite cheap and extermely eleguant. It cost very little, and the result as insolation, noise and humidity, is very good, to my own experience.
    Daniel

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.