Canting Keel Design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by cmgreenwood, Nov 8, 2007.

1. cmgreenwood

cmgreenwood New Member

For my final year Honours Dissertation Project, I have decided to try to design a canting keel for a Mini Transat 6.5m. It must be hand operated (in accordance with the racing rules). I chose the subject because it interests me alot and because there is very little literature available, so thought it would be a cracking project to choose. However...... I am mightily stuck and have hit dead ends where ever I turn for inspiration or relevant theory. Im hoping someone on here might be able to point me in the right direction or give me some pointers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

2. billie

billie Junior Member

hello cmgreenwood

Pretty experienced with the use and construction of 6.50 canting keel.
    What do you need to know ?

3. cmgreenwood

cmgreenwood New Member

Billie,
    Thanks for getting back so promptly. Well.......anything really. Typical dimensions, loads etc. What type of keel is most often used? Do they have wings or is it a simple torpedo? Where is the best place to start with designing a keel? Are there any good sources of reference that I have overlooked? Would it be viable to get in touch with a series of companies? Ive heard the whole deal is pretty hush hush.
    Cheers once again.
    Chris
    If its easier to email, its cmgreenwood@hotmail.co.uk

4. yipster

yipster designer

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.