canoe body draft formula

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by gimmi87, Dec 16, 2010.

1. gimmi87

gimmi87 Junior Member

Hello everyone I hope someone can help me. I was trying to draw a gaff cutter and I'm finding problems to get the canoe body draft for the midship section. I read the book like skene and larsen but they were not very helpful.
    I hope someone can give me the formula.
    thanks

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The draft is a function of hull shape and displacement. What is your difficulty?

3. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Gonzo is right, it is not clear what kind of problems are you encountering.

Apart that, please let me suggest you to read Carlo Sciarelli's book "Lo Yacht - Origine ed evoluzione del veliero da diporto". You will learn a lots about traditional boats (gaff cutters among them), and will get a grasp of their main dimensions and hull lines.

Cheers

4. gimmi87

gimmi87 Junior Member

in the larsen' s book there is this formula lwl/t=12 for a heavy displacement (t is the canoe body draft) in another book t=(V 35)/(lwl beam Cb) Cb is the block coefficient I have many doubts about which one to use.
    daiquiri I' m happy to find an Italian engineer in this forum,I study mechanical engineering and I have a passion for boats I'd like to get some advice if you can,if you want to send me an email

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Those formulas only work when you compare boats of similar type. If you apply them to a skimming dish to compare it to a plank on edge it will not give you a proper result.

6. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Message from the system:
    "Sorry! That user (you) has specified that they do not wish to receive emails. If you still wish to send an email to this user, please contact the administrator and they may be able to help." :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.